Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Loropetalum

Posted by bermudaboss none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 20:46

My lorapetalum are having trouble recovering from an extra harsh winter .
I'm trying to "baby" them right now. I've worked hard to keep them looking good for the last three years, but this past winter seemed to hurt them. Any
suggestions on how to help them recover ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Loropetalum

without a pic .... what do you want us to say???

let them leaf out...

and then act accordingly ...

if they already have... you didnt mention that ... where are you.. whats the damage .... can you post a pic.. are you in bermuda???

the key: patience ... be the shrub ... let it take care of biz ...

i usually screw things up.. when i try to outsmart ma nature ...

ken

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 14:42

If your climate is too cold you are just going to keep having problems, unless you tub them up and overwinter them in a cool greenhouse each year - or take other steps to protect them.

o

If you tell us where you live and what zone you are in, what varieties you are growing, and some pics, we might be able to give you either hope or condolences.

o

Mine look like hell and I am in 9b! I have cut some of them back, but they are budding out all along the stems (the ones that are not dead). I would wait a bit until warmer weather, take note of where they are breaking bud and cut back to that point. If you can stand it. I am switching to something else, I think. I hate their flower color, was growing them for their 'evergreen' purple leaves. For this climate, I think the hot dry summer not good for them, either, so not the best choice, at least here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here