Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forsythia cutting for rooting: can do in fall after drop leaves?

Posted by wynswrld98 z7 WA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 20:48

I want to take cuttings from my forsythia to propagate them on my 2 acre property. The problem is here in Seattle/Tacoma mother nature usually turns off the rain from now until fall and I don't want to worry about watering these new starts all summer -- believe me the ground quickly dries out to dust once the rain stops due to how porous the soil is, only deeply rooted shrubs/trees survive.

I wanted to see if this plan will work -- in fall when rain starts up (around the time forstyhia probably losing their leaves) take cuttings of my forsythia and stick them directly in the ground which should be watered by mother nature all fall/winter/spring to get them rooted to survive the dry summer of 2010. Does this plan sound like it will work?

If not, what times of year CAN cuttings be taken for rooting directly in ground?

Also, how long of a cutting should I take off each branch?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forsythia cutting for rooting: can do in fall after drop leav

You CAN and have a sorta decent rooting %age, but your better %age is with younger wood in the spring.

Why don't you try ground & air layering starting now (presuming the weather is typical and rain will likely occur until July 4), and check them in the fall, then take some cuttings and see what happens? Maybe use a gallon milk jug over the top to make it a little warmer in there. You'll want new wood only.

Dan

o
RE: Forsythia cutting for rooting: can do in fall after drop leav

fill a one gal pot with media.. and put a dozen 12 inch cuttings in it.. and by june.. at least half will be rooted.. if not all ..

or just leave them in a vase ... and they will root ...

this is one of the 3 simplest plants to roots .. JUST do it ..

and if i am wrong.. you can do it again in fall ...

you could probably just stick them in the soil... and ignore them for the rest of the year.. and half would root..

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here