Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will my Crepe Myrtle recover?

Posted by hermhart 6b IN (herman@technicalservicesin.com) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 21:02

Our crepe myrtle (Genus: Lagerstroemia, Species: indica) has had one year of good growth. The previous year we planted a tiny sapling in the winter. In the spring it sprouted and grew and bloomed. That October we transplanted it. The next spring (a year ago) it put out new growth from the ground. The wood that was above ground had died. But that new growth got to be about 3 feet tall and had nice blossoms. THIS spring we had an unusually warm March causing everything to start early. The crepe myrtle is one of the latest to start, but we could see a lot of little buds forming on the twigs. Well as expected we have had a lot of nights below the freezing point, and now all of those buds look dead. So my question is, what is the prognosis? Is the plant dead? Will it sprout from the ground again? Will it start new buds to replace the frozen ones? What can we expect?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will my Crepe Myrtle recover?

I am in a watching mode over here. Same thing happened to my new one planted last year. The wood underneath is still green so I am hopeful but the next month should tell me more. Maybe someone has a better answer for you then mine since it's a wait and see.
Cher

o

So my question is, what is the prognosis?

===>> the prognosis is to wait another month and see what happens ...

ken

o
RE: Will my CrApe Myrtle recover?

I doubt your crApe myrtle is dead, but it may have to resprout from it's roots as it did previously. Only time will tell.

o

I'm happy to report that our Crepe Myrtle is very much alive. New growth is appearing on about 80% of the twig structure so far and the growth looks very healthy. We we are excited about this. Thought you all would like to know.

o
RE: Will my crApe myrtle recover?

My crApe myrtle collection here in TN did the same thing. Of course mine were established, so I wasn't really worried about them. They are almost back to normal now. Glad yours made it too!

o

Glad to hear yours if fine. Mine has releafed also.
Cher

o

Crepe myrtle shrubs are pretty tough. It will probably be fine. I had a large crepe myrtle at my old house, and I don't think I could kill it if I tried. Like many others are saying, just be patient and wait to see what next month brings.

o

Apparently plantingman didn't bother reading the follow-ups.

o

In places where crape myrtles are marginal, they have been known to die back to the ground every year! Some neighbors in the high desert had a crape myrtle that did this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here