Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blue point juniper a good choice

Posted by mikesin z-6/pa (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 21:09

Hello, We are in need of a little privacy/wind break for our front yard which is full sun. Our neighborhood has a fairly large deer population so deer "resistant" is a must, we understand NOTHING is deer proof. We like the idea of evergreens for year round privacy. We really like Canadian hemlocks however we are sure the deer would just eat them away to nothing. So searching around we found blue point junipers to be deer resistant - grows 10-15' tall and fairly disease resistant. anybody have experiences (good or bad) with these junipers?

Thanks much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blue point juniper a good choice

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 21:29

I really don't have experience with 'Blue Point' but have had excellent results with 'Blue Arrow' here in SC KS. Stays narrow, seems to be (at this point) disease resistant to the normal blights, however, called a 'virginiana' is said to be succeptible to cedar-apple rust; I haven't seen it yet...probably will occur sometime.
Some plants planted four years ago at 6-7' height are now 8-9'+ and still very, very narrow (maybe 3-4'). If you are looking for a blue-ish juniper with narrow character you might look at this one. I'd plant them 3-1/2 to 4' apart with a 5 year window for solid screening.
hortster

o
RE: blue point juniper a good choice

might want to try the conifer forum for further suggestions

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here