Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikesin

blue point juniper a good choice

mikesin
14 years ago

Hello, We are in need of a little privacy/wind break for our front yard which is full sun. Our neighborhood has a fairly large deer population so deer "resistant" is a must, we understand NOTHING is deer proof. We like the idea of evergreens for year round privacy. We really like Canadian hemlocks however we are sure the deer would just eat them away to nothing. So searching around we found blue point junipers to be deer resistant - grows 10-15' tall and fairly disease resistant. anybody have experiences (good or bad) with these junipers?

Thanks much

Comments (2)

• hortster
    14 years ago

I really don't have experience with 'Blue Point' but have had excellent results with 'Blue Arrow' here in SC KS. Stays narrow, seems to be (at this point) disease resistant to the normal blights, however, called a 'virginiana' is said to be succeptible to cedar-apple rust; I haven't seen it yet...probably will occur sometime.
    Some plants planted four years ago at 6-7' height are now 8-9'+ and still very, very narrow (maybe 3-4'). If you are looking for a blue-ish juniper with narrow character you might look at this one. I'd plant them 3-1/2 to 4' apart with a 5 year window for solid screening.
    hortster

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

might want to try the conifer forum for further suggestions

ken