Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Flowering Almond vs. White

Posted by northerngnome (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 21:19

Hi all-
My first post. The pink flowering almond shrub is beautiful, but the white (Alba Plena) looks equally beautiful. Why is the white so hard to find? After extensive searching, it seems the few sources are wholesale. Anyone know of a retail source? Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Flowering Almond vs. White

in my world.. for what its worth ... one would have to have the pink almond .. which is then followed by the white spireas ...

anyway.. link below.. i think its what you are looking for

whatever makes you happy is fine with me ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Thanks Ken. I tried the link but unfortunately they don't have Alba Plena. I am a big fan of the pink almond, but I saw the white one in person once, and could easily have gotten in a car accident because I couldn't take my eyes off of it :-)

o

perhaps the white one they offer is better than the old standard you are searching for .. why would they offer a lesser one???

if it were me.. i would call and discuss with them.. before i gave up ... with all the 800 numbers.. what do you have to lose????

ken

o

Just my experience, but if you are going to plant one of these, put it somewhere where it won't be front & center for 11 months of the year. The flowers are lovely, but the plant tends to be bothered by insects and diseases and the overall growth pattern isn't particularly graceful. If you can plant it behind a late-emerging large perennial so that you can enjoy those early flowers from the almond, but then have something to distract from the somewhat ratty summer shrub, that would be ideal.

I'm afraid I haven't seen white flowering almonds. Good luck with your hunt!

o

Good idea Ken. Maybe I can talk them into getting me one..(the almond they sell is a single flowered tree). There's lots of places in England that sell them retail, they just don't ship to the U.S.

Thanks nhbabs. I must have been lucky, as my pink ones did very well, looked good, and had no bugs. I had them standing alone in full sun at my previous house.

I found a decent picture of one if anyone is interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: White double flowering almond shrub

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here