Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can anyone id this?

Posted by kristinemomof3 Z5 IN (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 22:26

I am trying to decide if I want to take a start of it, but I can't remember what it is. It appears that the flowers were kind of long. I tried to take a picture of the dead flower, but it came out blurry. It's kind of reddish in color in some areas and my friend thought the flowers were pink, but she doesn't know what the shrub is called.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can anyone id this?

the weed below.. or the blurry sticks???

compare with the link.. if so.. its a magnificent bee attractor ...

regarding the kids.. i found it a lesson in nature.. to learn to leave them alone ... rather than avoiding such for said reason ..

this is a WAG ... a pic in leaf might help .. if the guess fails ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I would suggest you take several steps back and and take a photo again to see if a photo of the whole shrub is more IDable. If you give it a solid back drop, such as having someone hold a sheet behind it, that may help.

Long pink flowers might be a Clethra 'Ruby Spice'.

o

Clipping off a branch, and laying it on a neutral background is usually a failsafe way to get good focus in closeup or otherwise.

Otherwise, I agree with nhbabs that it sounds like a pink Summersweet selection (Clethra alnifolia), of which there are more than a few available.

'Ruby Spice', 'Hokie Pink', 'Rosea', 'Pink Spires', and 'Fern Valley Pink' are but a few that have been around for awhile.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here