Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shade tolerant shrubs

Posted by brankulo (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 1, 10 at 22:30

we are working on landscaping our yard. it has south exposure but on the south edge of yard there is about 6' tall privaci wall. we want to plant some shrubs along this wall. the problem is that the wall will shade whatever is planted there almost all day. there is some some around noon. i am just wandering what are my options.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shade tolerant shrubs

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 1, 10 at 22:37

Climate?

o

Zone, location,soil type?

o

Doesn't anyone use Google, Yahoo, Bing or any of the internet search engines anymore? Or has GW become the 'search engine' of choice?

o

i live in denver, soil is sandy.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a Milwaukee (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 2, 10 at 21:32

Use this...link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscaping Search Engine

o

your problem is defining 'shade' ...

shade can be a dark grotto under 200 year old trees ...

or it can be so bright you need sunglasses ... and will get a sunburn ...

in the former.. most things will lose vigor ...

in the latter.. you can grow nearly anything ...

in the olden days.. one might suggest you take a camera light meter and find out just how much light is there ...

if i understand properly.. the wall is on the south side .... and creating the shade.. just move the plants as far as you can from the wall ... and plant whatever you want ...

full sun is usually said to be 8 hours .... if your spot only has some shade around noon.. you are way past the full sun requirements of most plants ...

as to what plant.. whatever you little heart desires .. start at a high end nursery ... see what spikes your interest... see if you can find it smaller online ... then bring some of your ideas back here.. and see if the crabby folks above have any specific ideas about what you are thinking about .... it is really hard.. for us across the WWW universe to simply spew out ideas specific to your garden

ken

o

Try this link -- it's local and sun/shade requirements are listed for each plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorado shrub listing

o

thanks for all the help. i visited posted links, now i see i have lots of options and i worried too soon. there is lots to pick from even for shady areas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here