Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
forsythia dying

Posted by don92 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 22:30

I have a 5 year old forsythia that is developing hard woody brown scales all along the length of some of the branches and those branches are dying. the scales are about an eighth of an inch tall and run the entire length of a branch.Two plants adjacent to this plant look fine. They are all just starting to bloom here in Asheville NC but these branches are dead. Any ideas what it is and what I can do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: forsythia dying

Any chance of posting some pictures?

o

I will get then today Brandon. Thanks!

o

This is a scale on the forsythia that is killing it. There are still new shoots that are coming up from the base but I don't think this plant will recover. Just don't know what to do. Can't find any mention of this scale on the web.

o

Are you sure they are dead? What makes you say that? If you bend a branch does it snap of dryly? If so it is dead. If it just bends it is alive. Another clue is the dormant buds. If they rub off and fall into scales they are dead. If the are pliable and green inside they are not. Forsythia is prone to fasciation and various strange growth habits are not unusual for it. If you don't like the appearance I'd just cut those branches down at ground level.

o

you sure you dont have a winged euonymus in the middle of your forsythia???

note the key word at the link.. invasive ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I'll tell ya ken, what you suggested looks exactly like what I have. Thing is though, The center stalk with this "scale"was about an inch in diameter and took up 3/4 of the forsythia plant and I don't remember seeing it last year. It certainly didn't leaf out like a burning bush last year.
I cut it out today and the stems seemed pliable and not dead.
If it is as you say a winged Euonymus, will cutting it out be enough to get rid of it? The darn thing is one inch in diameter and dead center of the forsythia trunk

o

On second thoughts I think Ken has got the explanation.

o

I think so too Flora, but where the heck did it come from? I bought 3 Forsythia 5 years ago and this comes up in the middle of one. I have not see this plant anywhere on my 10 acres.

o

you need to treat the fresh cut.. with some round up ... just drip it on full strength ... or stump killer..

or you can do it when it sprouts 3 to 5 new twigs by late summer ...

the link said its INVASIVE.. some bird planted it for you ...

you made me chuckle.. with your description of the wings as scale.. crikey man.. those would be some giant.. man eating scale.. lol ..

ken

o

The dog has turned up missing Ken, could be scales.
Are you saying just drip some plant killer on the cut-off stump in the middle of the forsythia? One won't hurt the other?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here