Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forsythia doesn't bloom

Posted by catmom50 z5 Central OR (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 07 at 22:31

My forsythia is 5 years old, and has never bloomed. It is in a sunny with late day partial shade area. I feed it miracle gro all purpose.

It has it's own water spout, the ground is well-drained.

I have pruned it a bit, but not much to prune. Mostly lots of woody sticks about 1-2 feet tall. It does leaf out, but no flowers.
Should I do a down to the nub prune (& when), or what???
Need help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forsythia doesn't bloom

WHEN do you prune? They need to be pruned right after blooming in order to not sacrifice bloom.

o

I have just planted Forsythias , they are yellow now ,what happens next ? do they just turn green and the the leaves fall off until next spring?

o

I would also stop fertilizing. Forsythia really generally doesn't need more nutrients that the soil provides on its own.

o

Hi:
I also have had trouble with forsythia blooming and would love to know what my problem is. It is a Karl Sax variety - planted as a long hedge. I must admit to, for many years, probably pruning too late in the season, but lately I have pruned right after whatever blooms appear are done. Last year I pruned heavily and anticipated a fantastic bloom this year on all the new growth. Instead, I have virtually no flowers at all this year! Does anyone have any advice? I've had this hedge now for probably over 20 years and am about ready to rip it out.

Thanks,
Keith

o

I too am interested in why my 30+ year old hedges no longer bloom. For years they were covered with the pretty yellow flowers, but over the past several years I have gotten a handful of flowers and nothing more. When I force bloom them indoors they are beautiful. The "re-root" no problem. South facing, good sun, no added fertilizer. Do "old" plants need more help?

o

In having just pruned my hedge again on Friday, I noticed that there was not as much new growth from last year as I would have thought. I had cut it way back in the spring last year (right after it 'bloomed' somewhat) - so perhaps this has something to do with it. I believe that, in gardening, one has to be the eternal optimist - so I'm already planning on LOTS of blooms next year. We'll see.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here