Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
understory plantings

Posted by puffkit 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 22:45

looking for ideas for an understory bed. md zone 6b/7a. will be below mature poplars, dappled shade, pretty dry in the summer, acid soil. looking for several different heights but mainly in the 10-15' range. here are a few things i am considering.

viburnum burkwoodii
taxus cuspidata
kerria
dogwood florida
enkianthus

any other suggestions would be great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: understory plantings

I have a Redbud planted in semi-shade. It does well and looks great with the nearby dogwoods.

o

Oakleaf hydrangea, perharps, though it need to be watered untill established.

o

I started to reply to this a few days ago but am not sure I'm on the same page as the OP. I think of an understory planting as meant to set off the trunks of tall trees, not fill in all the space between them, effectively obscuring that nice, somewhat open, woodsy feeling.

So, personally, I would not plant anything massive and lump-shaped like kerria or yew. I'd go for smaller, more open shapes, either low or with a few trunks, and ground-covers, like early spring bulbs, wild strawberry, or hellebores, around those. If your understory plants reach the height of your lower tree branches, and fill in that space, that's a totally different look, good for screening but not ... special. If that's what you want, then your plant list is fine, but if you want a real understory planting, that's something else completely.

You might add ilex glabra to the list, it's a native, non-spiny evergreen that likes shade and always looks good. Black berries on females if males are also planted. I've got blueberries in light shade, and they do really well there, too, although the birds get most of the berries. Vaccinium is s a pretty shrub, with great fall color, and comes in many sizes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here