Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weeping Pussy Willow leaves are turning yellow?

Posted by batgirl25 5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 15, 11 at 0:15

I just planted a Weeping Pussy Willow last week and it was doing great up until about a day ago when I noticed that some of the leaves on the under the top set are turning yellow but otherwise seems fine. Why is it doing this? We are new to these types of trees and are worried we are losing them. Please any advise would be greatly appreciated at this time. I have another post about our Weeping Cherry Tree on here as well..
Thanks in advance to you all for your help...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weeping Pussy Willow leaves are turning yellow?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 15, 11 at 1:04

The top may be shading the inside, no cause for alarm. Otherwise, when a plant loses lower leaves at an unexpected time it can mean the roots are too dry or too wet.

o

hey batgirl.. hows robin???

newbie huh??? ... many posts.. many worries ...

gardening is supposed to be relaxing.. and you seem to be worrying to death ...

if all your plants have a guarantee.. just freakin relax ... OK??

now.. yanking anything from a pot.. and sticking it in the ground .. disturbs its ability to pump water, because you messed with its roots ... make sense so far ...

there is only one reaction .. it sacrifices leaves ... to which it could not pump enough water [especially if there was a heat wave immediately after planting] ... with me ... and here is the part you need to understand ... BEFORE YOU GO INSANE ... >>>>THIS IS NORMAL ...

all the life in the plants.. are in the growth tips.. and even if it loses/sacrifices every single leaf.. if that growth tip thrives.. the plant will recover ... though it might look ugly for a while ... so just relax ...

now.. could you have avoided this.. yes ... probably ... with the following:

proper planting ....

proper timing... a few weeks earlier would have made this all done when the plant had fewer leaves .. and the weather was cooler... leading to less problems pumping water ...

proper mulching..

and proper watering ...

if you read thru a few pages of back posts.. you ought to see many.. many posts about how to do it better ... and would be a great start to increasing your knowledge base ...

but when all is said and done.. its nearly foolproof ... and me thinks you simply worry too much ... many say .. that you are not a true gardener.. until you have killed every plant in your garden 3 times.. and trust me... all of us have ... [and many years from now... like many of us.. you will wonder why you were so enthralled with a pussy willow.. lol] ...

have a bat beer.. and relax.. odds are .. they will all recover.. the only issue is whether you will be certifiable before it happens... lol

good luck .. we need more gardeners.. ken

o

No I am not new to Gardening. I have just never planted Weeping trees before so I did not know what to expect with them. I have been gardening for about 6 years now. My veggie garden is about 1000 sq/ft. And I have several flower beds all perennials. And I have planted several trees of all shapes and types. I would have planted them a few weeks ago but there were several bushes in the way and it was pouring down rain here for almost 2 straight weeks... So it was near next to impossible to plant anything. I also have a Snow Fountain Weeping Cherry that is have issues. But I have atrributed most of both of their issues do to them having transplant shock. I know everything goes thru it even people.

I am not worrying to death about it but my husband was because these trees are not what you would call cheap. I garden alot so I know I do not really freak out about anything anymore. And have recently started dividing some of my large plants and transplanting them to other locations... And all them are doing well with minimal shock to them.

And I really don't know where Robin is... lol :)

And I have killed many plants it has been trial and error but I go back for more. I have a Euphoria that I bought and planted last spring and it hasn't come back yet so I lost that one but I am not surprised because I lose several plants a year either because I kill them by using the wrong thing or they just don't come back...

Thank you for the Good Luck wishes... And I am here to stay..

o

i wonder how i got it in my head you were a neophyte ... that passing out and dreaming at the keyboard has to stop..

regardless .... i am glad you had a sense of humor about it ...

now lets go track down the riddler ... TO THE BATCAVE!!!!

ken

ps: trees are trees.. conifers are trees.. annuals are annuals.. and pussy willow is a shrub .... trees and shrubs are planted the same .... but shrubs are pruned differently than trees .. and sooner or later you will need to know how to do RENOVATION PRUNING on your PW .... google it when you get there ...

o

Thank you for your help :) And I am told I have a Great Sense of Humor... Sometimes I wonder lol...

And the Batcave is cold and dark I want Sunshine and warm weather... All this rain is kind of crappy :(

I am still putting my veggie garden in when the rains stops for a bit and then back inside to dry off...

All my plants and even myself need to dry out a bit...

But on an up note my Snow Fountain Weeping Cherry is looking much better. Some leaves have started to come it and we are stilling waiting to see if it will get more foliage.

o

Hi everyone and Ken,

Would you be interested in reassuring me that my willows will survive? I purchased 2 willows and one hydrangea because they were incredibly inexpensive and they fried big time in my car so that I don't know if any of the leaves will survive.(I learned not to leave my children in the car LOL There was good new growth on all at the bottom and I had planned to plant them this fall. Will they survive? Please go gentle on me. I'm sad about this. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here