Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diegoatown

Snow Storm spirea and aphids

KeithJames
10 years ago

I've assiduously avoided any plants that have had aphids in my dense and very specimen oriented patio garden. But maybe I'm overly uptight about a few aphids. I bought a snow storm spirea that's into it's second season waiting to be sold so in that pot probably at least a year and half and stressed. It's large, 2.5 feet to 3 in the pot. It doesn't look like it was trimmed back for a couple seasons, so probably stressed, though the plant still looks very good. However, I found many of the yet to bloom buds with green colored aphids. What's the best way to help this stressed plant back to health and is it okay to let it in my garden. It's going to be near a princess spirea that has NEVER had any aphid problem, also will be near a red cardinal dogwood shrub. What I did so far was trim all the buds off and cut the shrub back a good bit but not overly severe, thinking that next spring before blooms form I'll really give it a good trimming back for it's vigor. Does all this sound good and should I be doing anything else to erradicate aphids. I'm hoping with the plants renewed vigor by next Spring it will not have any major show of aphids. Any advise on aphids is helpful here.

Comments (9)

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    10 years ago

I would repot it and keep it away from my other plants for a while- no planting right up next to other things.
    During this period I would blast the heck out of it with a hose every day- pick it up or lay it on its side so you can reach the undersides of all the leaves and spray away.
    Aphids aren't very mobile or aggressive, so are quite easy to keep under control with just water.
    Insecticidal soap would be my second choice but is usually not necessary.

Don't let a few bugs freak you out- it is nature, after all, and nature has her own controls. Ladybugs will show up and fix it for you if they get bad enough.

• KeithJames
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks cearbhaill, I will do just that. I have a nice big terra cotta that the shrub will certainly think it'd gone to heaven to be in compared to it's current home.

Am I correct also to think that aphids are often an early season thing or cycle that can go away (I guess if not a really bad situation) before June or so?

I'll spray the lady daily and enjoy her in the pot for now. Maybe even wait until the cooling of late season (Sept.?) to move her in the ground?

(I'm in eastern PA by the way)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Aphids are temperature sensitive and disappear when it gets hot. When they appear I use the hose trick as suggested (there are even nozzles specifically designed for this though I don't bother with them) or just squeeze them off between thumb and forefinger. And the ladybugs will move in!

• fmart322
    10 years ago

I have 10 bridal wreath spireas. They do get a lot of aphids. They also get loads of ladybugs along with their larvae.
    I never worry about aphids.

I've pruned those those bushes to 3" every few years. They love it. They look nice and weepy and full of blooms.

I think I have the nicest spireas in my area. Most people prune them like a hedge and they get weird looking.

You can also prune 1/3 of the plant. Taking the older branches out to 3-5 inches off the ground.

Neem works great too. Just give it a spray.

• fmart322
    10 years ago

I have 10 bridal wreath spireas. They do get a lot of aphids. They also get loads of ladybugs along with their larvae.
    I never worry about aphids.

I've pruned those those bushes to 3" every few years. They love it. They look nice and weepy and full of blooms.

I think I have the nicest spireas in my area. Most people prune them like a hedge and they get weird looking.

You can also prune 1/3 of the plant. Taking the older branches out to 3-5 inches off the ground.

Neem works great too. Just give it a spray.

• KeithJames
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the imput. Re not worrying about aphids, It sounds like fmart322 has a large property with a totally natural setting. My yard is a city yard and every plant is treated more like a specimen plant and aphids are more of a concern I think in this setting.

I did repot the Snow Storm in a large terra cotta and with the blooms cut off that were covered in aphids and then the whole thing trimmed back a little, I really don't see any more aphids, just can't find any! The Snow Storm seems to be much more like the Little Princess and other small varieties, kind of like a monster version of the Princess. It seems the little spireas don't get aphids the same was as the larger spirea. My Little Princess has never had them. I'm feeling confident that the Snow Storm is going to clean up and be fine in the yard. I'll spray it with water some this season after it settles a little in the new pot and will put it in the garden in the Autumn. And I won't totally freak out if I see any aphids and next year will do early Spring control on them with water spray, maybe soapy, and also select pruning. Also will give the Snow Storm a good whacking every early Spring before leafing out.

• fmart322
    10 years ago

I live in a suburban subdivision on a 1/3 acre lot. I'm trying to make it as natural as I can.

Good Luck in your yard.

• KeithJames
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks fmart322:
    Wow, your 10 bridal wreaths must be a beautiful addition to the whole neighborhood. You're making me want to post pictures of my own yard/gardens. Online life is TOO busy, but maybe I'll get around to that...

• fmart322
    10 years ago

I posted pics before. Look up pruning spirea. It was back in 2007 I think.
    The previous owners planted them, to close to each other and the sidewalk.
    They also planted things about a foot from the foundation. They were small at one time.