Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Taming an overgrown yard of a newly bought home

Posted by ayersrw Zone 5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 0:34

I just bought a home in zone 5 and have a row of overgrown boxwoods along a wooden plank fence. I enjoy the privacy they offer, yet they are destroying the fence they are along. Additionally, they are about 20 feet high but are very thin along the base of the bushes. What can I do to downsize these bushes to allow me to repair the fence and see them thicken along the bottom 6-12 inches of the shrubs? I hesitate to cut them to the ground and start over because their height really does offer great privacy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Taming an overgrown yard of a newly bought home

w/o a picture.. its really hard to conceptualize the situation ....

when i bought my first house.. it took me 5 years.. to come to the realization that i was dealing with nightmares the prior owners created... and i wondered.. in hindsight.. why i wasted 5 years screwing around with a total nightmare ...

but again.. w/o pic.. i dont know if you are entering a boxwood nightmare ... and should start clean.. or if it is salvageable ...

in said 5 years.. you could regrow the privacy ... with good plants ...

are you sure on the boxwood ID.. rather than privet in z5????

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o
RE: Taming an overgrown yard of a newly bought home

Ayers,
Luckily boxwoods are very forgiving with triming.
It took many years for them to get that high for you and the privacy afforded, it is definately worth keeping them.
Feel free to either buy or rent a trimmer and trim them the way you really want them.
If the bottom of the shrub receives more sun, it will
grow in at the bottom where you want it.
So, when trimming, try to trim the shrub so that the bottom of the shrub is more exposed and trim the higher parts back. I wish I could put it into words better.
GOod luck with your shrubs, they will grow in nicely this year for you because a good trim will refresh them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here