Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnstaci

Favorite Juniper

johnstaci
13 years ago

What is your favorite juniper?? I am looking for one approx 6-12 inches tall that reaches approx 4 ft in width, but am willing to vary if there are good ones that vary from those sizes.

Comments (6)

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

That is very small. You might be able to get what you want out of one of the shore juniper cultivars.

If these grow there.

Otherwise, maybe something like Juniperus procumbens 'Nana'.

If it grows in your area, and does not blight off like it so often does here.

Right in the sales yard.

• mainegrower
    13 years ago

There are several junipers that meet your criteria. 'Blue Star", procumbens nana, 'Bar Harbor' are 3 that quickly come to mind. A local nursery should be able to suggest varieties adapted to your area.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

'Blue Star' grows much taller than 12". Juniperus horizontalis cultivars can grow very wide.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

Though wider than 4 feet in time, I'd say Juniperus horizontalis 'Mother Lode'.

tj

• hortster
    13 years ago

'Blue Star' also is very intolerant of high moisture so it needs excellent drainage and preferably no clay soil. bboy is correct - gets taller than your specs. 'Bar Harbor' continues to expand much beyond 4'. Shore juniper varieties fail in KS so question whether they would work in MO.
    How about some J. horizontalis var. that gets very heavily pruned every spring? Is there a procumbens or horizontalis that doesn't get beyond 4'? Love to know which one that would be. I could use that one!
    hortster

• mainegrower
    13 years ago

Blue Star at more than 4'?! I'll take your words for it, but I've never seen one much more than 2' tall and my own which has been planted for 15+ years is about 20" at it highest point. All the online references I've checked indicate mature height of 2 to 3'. Could we be talking about two different clones?