Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite Juniper

Posted by johnstaci Z5/6 NW MO (My Page) on
Wed, May 5, 10 at 0:40

What is your favorite juniper?? I am looking for one approx 6-12 inches tall that reaches approx 4 ft in width, but am willing to vary if there are good ones that vary from those sizes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite Juniper

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, May 5, 10 at 1:15

That is very small. You might be able to get what you want out of one of the shore juniper cultivars.

If these grow there.

Otherwise, maybe something like Juniperus procumbens 'Nana'.

If it grows in your area, and does not blight off like it so often does here.

Right in the sales yard.

o

There are several junipers that meet your criteria. 'Blue Star", procumbens nana, 'Bar Harbor' are 3 that quickly come to mind. A local nursery should be able to suggest varieties adapted to your area.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, May 5, 10 at 13:04

'Blue Star' grows much taller than 12". Juniperus horizontalis cultivars can grow very wide.

o

Though wider than 4 feet in time, I'd say Juniperus horizontalis 'Mother Lode'.

tj

o

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Wed, May 5, 10 at 19:59

'Blue Star' also is very intolerant of high moisture so it needs excellent drainage and preferably no clay soil. bboy is correct - gets taller than your specs. 'Bar Harbor' continues to expand much beyond 4'. Shore juniper varieties fail in KS so question whether they would work in MO.
How about some J. horizontalis var. that gets very heavily pruned every spring? Is there a procumbens or horizontalis that doesn't get beyond 4'? Love to know which one that would be. I could use that one!
hortster

o

Blue Star at more than 4'?! I'll take your words for it, but I've never seen one much more than 2' tall and my own which has been planted for 15+ years is about 20" at it highest point. All the online references I've checked indicate mature height of 2 to 3'. Could we be talking about two different clones?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here