Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink flowering shrub ID

Posted by sandyslopes UT zone 5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 1:39

This is a volunteer at the top of my hill. It has fragrant pink flowers right now in the spring and is about 5 ft. tall and 5 ft. across but might still be growing. It's under taller trees so it's part day sun and then part shade. I'd like to know what it is.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink flowering shrub ID

honeysuckle

under that name.. there is both a shrub and a vine.. whats that all about .. so there is probably a more specific latin name

ken

o

One of the Loniceras.

o

some forms are considered invasive in UT...

and the fact that you have a GIANT volunteer.. is a good start with that deduction ...

ken

o

Funny that honeysuckle went through my mind, but I dismissed it because I didn't know it could be a shrub, and it hasn't seemed aggressive. There's only this one plant, and it's taken about ten or so years to get to this size. And, yeah, it's very pretty so I like it :)

From Googling it does look like it's an exotic bush honeysuckle but not one that's invasive in Utah. I'm guessing it came from an ornamental in someone's yard deposited by a bird. It's not growing anywhere else that I've ever seen, so I won't worry about it with everything else I have that's truly a menace, like those Siberian Elms up above it.

Thanks so much for the ID's and sending me in the right direction!

o

It's not growing anywhere else that I've ever seen,

==>> in bloom.. is the only time.. you will spot it as you drive around ...

its a big ugly bush 11.5 months of the year.. with no inherent architectural grace ...

if you have acreage.. its great..

if it takes up half your yard.. get rid of it ...

your choice

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here