Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to mix between red chokeberries in an informal hedge?

Posted by mustard_seeds 4 -Onalaska Wisconsi (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 11 at 4:53

I have a 30 foot long area in the side lawn about 6 feet in from the sidewalk where I would like to plant a row of shrubs. I picked up three Aronia arbutifolia 'Brilliantissima', they are 2 feet tall now. I imagine them 5-6 feet tall with bare legs, drooping over a smaller shrubs planted in between. It will be informal. The area is dry sandy soil with full sun in the side of our corner lot. The plantings will not be near the corner intersection, so no concern with traffic visability. Will use hose for irrigation. Carboard with wood chip mulch around shrubs. Will keep strip of lawn between the shrubs and sidewalk as there are gas/electric lines buried about 2 feet in from the sidewalk.

So, a drought tolerant shrub that gets maybe 3x3 that will complement the taller chokeberries...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to mix between red chokeberries in an informal hedge?

There are some shorter asian and hybrid varieties of winter hazel that might work in that situation.

o

How about Juniperus procumbens 'Nana' on a high graft? I'd also add at least a third element as well since it's 30 feet long.
tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Hang 'em High

o

Keep in mind that the Aronias will sucker and thicken up in a few years. But 3 Aronias in a 30 foot section is not much. You have room for a great many other shrubs. I'd group all three togther, then add other shrubs. You don't want the area to look polka dotted especially since it appears you're trying to keep the planting very narrow with only one layer to it.

o

Thanks for the great suggestions. I have rethought the hedge idea, and I think instead I am going to create some beds using some nearby trees to use two of the chokecherries, and I placed one towards the back of a mixed shrub/perennial bed that had a bit if a gap in it. Can't wait to see these grow!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here