Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can i cut back burning bush now?

Posted by dave4242 z5 CT (My Page) on
Fri, May 28, 10 at 7:47

We have 2 burning bushes that are encroaching on other plantings. They are probably a good 6 feet in diameter. Being that they are fully leafed out, if I were to cut them back to say 3 feet in diameter, how long would it take for them re-leaf out?
What time of year would be the best time to transplant them to another spot? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can i cut back burning bush now?

Yes, if you do it now then they won't flower and set fruit - which is good because then the birds won't spread them around (since this is an invasive plant in New England).

If you prune them now, they should be ok - they seem kind of hard to kill anyway.

Here is a link that might be useful: New England invasive plants profile for burning bush

o

Thanks. How long will it take to re-leaf out? I'd hate to look at just sticks all summer.

o

personally.. i would get rid of it ...

google REJUVENATION PRUNING OF SHRUBS ....

you do not cut them to 3 feet ...

frankly.. this bush.. and by the definition of invasive [you can barely kill them if you want to].. can be run over by a truck.. and cut to the ground.. and i would not be surprised if it isnt back to 3 feet by the end of summer ...

dad had one on his driveway .... 12 to 15 feet tall.. 6 inch diameter trunk at the ground .... threatening to swallow the house ... cut to 3 inches .... and it came back gang busters ... but we are patient people ..... and we arent fixated on how many days that may take, as proved by my lack of recollection in that regard ...

my best advise ... cut it to the ground ... apply stump killer to the cambian.. and go get some nice flowering shrubs to replace them.. offsetting far enough from the cut trunk so that digging is not too hard. .. lifes to short to deal with ugly green bushes that threaten nature ...

and for a nickel ... i will tell you how i really feel about them ... darn birds plant them everywhere .. i kill them by the hundreds all over my lot ... the plants i mean.. lol ...

good luck

ken

o

I'm not sure what Ken wrote above (I just can't read it), but don't worry about pruning it. Go ahead. It'll be fine and it'll leaf out pretty quickly. You'll see new growth well within 2 weeks. Best of luck!

o

You'll be fighting a continuous battle since this shrub wants to be quite large. You'll need to cut it back annually to keep it in bounds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here