Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to plant for privacy/hide a fence near maple?

Posted by bried621 none (My Page) on
Thu, May 22, 14 at 8:35

I posted this also in the conifers forum.

I am not a gardener, however, I would like to be some day. I have been reading the forums for ideas. I was hoping someone could suggest something for along a chain link fence in our yard. We have about 40/50 feet of fence that we would like to hide, and we are also looking for some privacy from the neighbors. This is a very narrow part of our property, there is only about 20 feet of lawn between the fence and our driveway at the narrowest point. There is also a maple tree about 5 feet from the fence. Any ideas, open to any and all ideas!
I will try to include pictures.
Thanks,
Julia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to plant for privacy/hide a fence near maple?

Also we are zone 6 and we have deer

o

Photo 2

o

That maple doesn't look healthy to me. Please post a photo on the Trees forum for more opinions.

How tall do you want the screening shrubs to grow? I wouldn't choose a shrub that needs much pruning or shearing to stay the desired height because you're going to have quite a few shrubs there. Also, I'd plan a mixed planting with three or four different types.

o

I just asked my husband, he's hoping for 15 feet. Perhaps the conifers forum is our best bet. Let me know if you have any ideas though!
I also asked the trees forum about the maple.
Thank you.

o

I'd consider a combination of hollies, conifers, Pragense Viburnum, and maybe 'Skip' laurel if they are all hardy in your region.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here