Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ligustrum x vicaryi -- Vicary Golden Privet

Posted by ken_adrian z5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 8:46

i cant believe i want a privet.. after all the nightmares of shearing mom and dads in my teen years ...

but their neighbor has a gorgeous yellow one.. that is intensely fragrant ...

well ... weeding for mom on mothers day .. i found a small seedling...

is this the proper name??? will it come true from seed???

i will let it go free form.. still cant get over the shearing nightmares .. lol ... and use rejuvenation pruning ...

comments.. thoughts.. etc???

ken

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ligustrum x vicaryi -- Vicary Golden Privet

I have two little Ligustrums in pots purely because I miss the ones I had in FL. I love the scent of the blooms and I especially love the smell of the wood when you prune them.
So I am growing these plants so that I can smell the cuts when I trim them in three years, LOL.

It only has to make sense to you.

o

Yea ... Golden Vicary Privet kind of breaks the mold.

It can get big, ... but I like it.

o

I received a very large cobalt-blue pot for my birthday...,it is 2 ft 4 inches high 1 ft 2inches inside diameter at the top and there is a bulging "belly" in the middle about 1 ft 8 inches inside diameter...I am thinking a lime-green plant would look good...one that is rounded since the pot itself is tall and thinish...will a Golden Vicary Privet do well in this pot??...or aGolden Nine Bark?...I live in the Cascades east of Eugene Oregon...my zone is 7 but we can have some hard freezes and we do get some snow...so I look for plants that are hardy in zone 6...looking forward to your ideas...Georgeanne

o

hi georgeanne..

the privet i found my babe under.. was 8 feet tall.. and 5 feet wide..

not really what i think of.. as a pot plant ...

being a privet.. it could probably be kept small thru bonsai-type pruning ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here