Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cgpaytas

When to move Lilac and Hydrangea?

cgpaytas
13 years ago

We need to move both our Lilac and Hydrangea but I'm not sure when is the best time?

The Lilac is small only about 2 ft; we planted it this past October. It still has blooms on it, but I'm not sure when they will stop. I don't know the specific variety. Assuming it has finished blooming for this season, do I need to wait a week, two, etc?

The Hydrangea is larger maybe 4 ft but not very wide. It has been planted next to a Zebra grass that is enourmous and so it never gets sun - I'm stunned it is still alive actually. To my knowledge it has never bloomed since I can't even see it! Same thing, can I move this now or is there a better time? This will now be in a mostly sun area.

Any other tips are most appreciated :)

TIA!

Comments (3)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Now - at the start of the growing season and right before warm weather arrives - is NOT the time to move anything. It would be far better to wait until early fall or late winter, when the plants are entering or in dormancy. If you must do it now, be prepared for transplant shock - prepare the new planting location before digging the plants, attempt to move when temps are cool and the day overcast and pay very close attention to watering for the rest of the season.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

but I'm not sure when is the best time?

As with most woody plants, when dormant.

Dan

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

if it can wait.. do it when the leave of the trees are changing color..

just about everything is dormant at that time...

if it cant wait... its still cool enough in z5/6 ... at night ...

i would do it ASAP with a forecast of rain or cloud cover for a day or two after ... o would not do it if temps are supposed to creep near the 80's ....

big ball of soil with them ... watering properly.. and mulch heavily

i grow my hydrangea in all shade.. i doubt that its the issue.. next to grass... it might be drought.... though it did take it a few years to bloom regardless ...

ken