Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hard Cutting Everygreens/Shrubs

Posted by chefwong (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 8:53

For low lying evergreen, how much or how little can I Hard Cut it.
There are some spots that are getting quite tall. I've yet to walk into that area to see how thick the branches are, but how much of low lying evergreen can I hard cut. I hard cut the edges during the summer, which was great to stop growth, as the edges have remained straight with no overgrowth yet. We'll see how much blooms out this year.

I also have some large evergreens that are too tall. I did a mild shear and took off about 3-5 inches about 2 weeks back. Just enough that, there was about 1/2 inch of *green* on the tops.
However, post review, I'm looking at them, they definately need a heavy lopping on the top, I would say another 3-5 inches. How much HARD cut can I do. I'm afraid to cut off the top to the point where there is no *green* on the top, and then find out it will never grow back out...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hard Cutting Everygreens/Shrubs

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 2, 13 at 12:37

Depends on what kinds they are, you need to give names of specific ones to get useful advice: at least come up with something on the level of "yew" or "holly", if not "Hicks yew" or "Japanese holly".

o

Pics below

This post was edited by chefwong on Thu, May 2, 13 at 13:28

o

A pic of the groundcover ones

o

Large Evergreens

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 3, 13 at 0:27

They look fine now, if you cut them back into brown and bare you might as well pull them out - conifers do not come back well from bare wood.

o

My issue is the height.

On the groundcover, I feel that on the high growth spots, if I don't cut them back, they will just get a thicker core this summer.....and I WON'T be able to cut it next year.

On the large ones....I was busy with renovations & newborns for the last 2 years so I did not cut them at all.. They are a easy 12" too high currently. I cut off about 4-5 inches 2 weeks ago. Left about 1/4" of green - rest is brown underneath in the tops. I'm not sure how much I can cut into the brown on these......if I want to LOP off another 12"...

I just googled conifer - the leaves do not look at all like conifers though, unless my googling is wrong...

o

the first looks like a Juniper horizontalis ... i have no clue of the cultivar

the second also looks like a juniper.. but i wouldnt bet a nickle on that ID.. since i cant focus on the leaves .. platycladus???

there is a conifer forum... try there

of my 600 conifers.. there are only 3.. so badly planted.. they have ever needed pruning ... if you are needing to cut on your so often.. that speaks directly to the wrong plant in the wrong spot ...

if you do go to the conifer forum.. a pic of the whole site.. and a pic of the needles themselves will be important ...

again.. they are conifers.. which are also trees ... but they are not.. technically shrubs .. though i admit i used that term for decades .... and this use of common terms.. MIGHT BE why googling is failing you ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here