Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bridal Wreath Spirea? Seed to Bloom?

Posted by dees 5 IN (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 08 at 8:56

I have searched to internet and can't find the answer. Does anyone know how long it takes for bridal wreath spirea grown from seed, to bloom? Thanks, for any help!

Dee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bridal Wreath Spirea? Seed to Bloom?

A long time. Since it blooms on new growth and depending on how fast it germinates I'd say three years but you may need a microscope to see it bloom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o

It's much quicker and easier to grow it from cuttings. They will bloom in their first year. Or have you already go the seed started?

o

• Posted by dees 5 IN (My Page) on
    Mon, May 26, 08 at 19:52

Well, 3 years doesn't sound bad..lol..I've read that some shrubs take 7 years..lol..... Flora, no I don't have seeds yet,but I am horrible at rooting cuttings, and I would like to have 4 or 5 to alternate with other flowering shrubs. I've read that they sucker, also, but I don't know anyone locally that has any. Thanks, for your response..You too, bullthistle.

Dee

o

You might get a little faster growth trying some stem rooting. Scratch the trailing branch, put dirt over it with a rock on top, see if some rooting takes place. Forsythia do this by themselves.

I would think you could get some small spireas fairly inexpensively, yet have some height, to get your hedge going. My spirea is 3yrs old, still only about 45" tall from a nice plant root with about a foot of branches. About $6. It has gained in height and added new branches, but still has a lot of growing and filling out to do, before I have the very flowing, graceful spirea look. Somehow I thought they were much faster growers, and I now have 3 years into this one with a way bigger start than seeds. It does bloom, has since purchase. Not great this year, but winter was harsh here. Other local spirea look very nice but are more protected in town.

From seed, way too long a wait for results for me. Unless you like the challenge? Local newspapers often do free ads, you could put in a free bush removal for spirea! Get yourself something with size to start. They do have huge roots, if there is any age to them. Time or labor, which will get you the bushes you desire?!?

o

• Posted by dees 5 IN (My Page) on
    Wed, May 28, 08 at 23:47

I have found a place that sells two yr. old frield grown shrubs, for a decnt price,,,Thank I will go that way...Thanks, everyone

Dee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here