Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hedge infested

Posted by miclino 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 8:57

Posted this in conifers by mistake. Was trimming the boxwood hedge this weekend and was surprised to see large numbers of orangish flies swarm out of the hedge. Does not seem localized to one area. Also, the new growth I trimmed off looked healthy but underneath it appears there is some yellowing of foliage. I will try to post some pics later. Any ideas what this might be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hedge infested

That the inside foliage is pale is normal. The interior leaves of any shrubs, especially one that is sheared routinely, don't receive the benefit of sunlight to keep those chloroplasts "stroked".

o

that makes sense. Still see the bugs flying around the bushes which is kind of annoying as they are by the front entrance. Will keep an eye on them.

o

Wish I could help with the insect ID. Without a picture, I'd not hazard a guess.

o

you might want to check out boxwood leaf miners.... small orange flies, cause yellow/orange blisters on the foliage. If the yellowing leaves are hollow when you break them in half you have miners.

Here is a link that might be useful: miner images

o

Crud, those look exactly like the flies I have. Time to break out the pesticide I'm guessing?

Thanks Kato. There was no way I was going to be able to get one of those flies to pose for a picture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here