Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dark shrub to pair with Little Lime Hydrangea?

Posted by maries1120 SE WI (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 9:08

I want a shrub with dark leaves to combine with some Little Lime Hydrangeas. Which shrub I pick will change the design plan slightly - at least as far as numbers and which goes where. I was thinking of either of these but open to other suggestions:
Little Devil Dwarf Ninebark
or
Spilled Wine or Fine Wine Weigela

Would appreciate opinions of which might be better. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dark shrub to pair with Little Lime Hydrangea?

How about a dark green yew or other dark green foliaged plant? The color would be enhanced by the contrast of the different greens vs. the color contrast (and maybe clash) of the maroon plants you mentioned. The weigelas often fade from maroon and end up chocolaty brownish, which doesn't go well with lime green (subjectively).
hortster

o

Thanks. Do you think the Ninebark would clash as well? I don't want to put an evergreen here since it gets buried under a lot of snow but I'm sure I can find another dark green deciduos shrub.

o

At the risk of contradicting hortster, (which ordinarily I would never do!) I actually love chocolate and lime. I have a ninebark Coppertina behind my Spirea 'Goldmound' - not quite as chocolately and limey as your pairing would be, but I think that it would work just fine. The fading is something to consider, though - make sure that you are happy with the color it fades to. I like the ninebark much better than the weigela anyway as the bark on the ninebark is lovely in winter when the shrub is bare.

Sara

o

Like I said, subjective... ;-)
hortster

o

I don't know about Little Devil but I haven't seen fading with the larger dark Ninebark.

I could go with a different Hydrangea like an oakleaf - Pee Wee or Munchkin. My husband likes these and would be happy if I made a place for them. I was thinking Little Lime since comments made it sound like it was an easier one to care for and more reliable than other smaller paniculatas.

o

Not a shrub but is (dark) evergreen and gets as large and substantial as many small shrubs- Hellebores. I think it would be a very nice color and texture contrast to the Hydrangea.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 13, 13 at 6:57

Marie, if you found Munchkin locally would you mind sharing where?

o

whaas - Milaegers has them listed in their plant guide. We didn't get there yet though. We usually go on Mother's Day but went to Minor's so hope to go this coming weekend unless we have monsson rains. I will call first to be sure they have what I want though since it is quite a drive. If you go - save me a couple! :)

wildcatnurseryman - hellesbores look interesting. This area might get more shade eventually but will get quite a bit of sun right now - especially (late) afternoon sun. Would these do OK in sun? If not - I will look for another place to try some of these out though. Thanks.

This post was edited by maries1120 on Mon, May 13, 13 at 8:32

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here