Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellowing Boxwood after transplanting

Posted by IRuehl 8 Savannah GA (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 11 at 10:12

Hi, I will post a pic as soon as I can. But here's the scoop

I transplanted boxwood from a shady spot to close to my patio about a months ago. They were leggy, guessing from the lack of sun. They are in full sun now and were doing great. Flowered, set off new leaves and twigs after the transplanting. Then I noticed they were yellowing from the inside bottom and dropping leaves. I have been reading that they are dieing and its driving me nuts! I hope I can save them. Do boxwoods drop leaves yearly? The soil is the same, loam for the first 18in, then GA clay. Please tell me this is normal, maybe I over watered them (2x-3x) a week since I didnt want them going into shock. They have about 2in of pine mulch to. I didnt bury them deeper then they were int the first place. I made sure of that.

I dont know what kind they are, they are smaller, with small dark leaves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellowing Boxwood after transplanting

transplanted too late...

they put out leaves on stored energy .. and once that was used up.. and you cut all the roots to move it.. it is sacrificing the leaves...

only time will tell if it will make it ...

hopefully you have more volunteers around.. and can move one at the right time of year.. which for you is probably around nov/dec ... not april

give it time.. water it properly.. and wait...

ken

ps: you cut off most of its roots.. why would water prevent shock??? it sure wont hurt recovery.. but it wont stop shock ... but water when it needs it.. insert finger ...

o

• Posted by IRuehl 8 Savannah GA (My Page) on
    Wed, May 4, 11 at 11:29

Ah. I didnt live here till Dec, so I didnt know anything about gardening here. I moved from Hawaii, so its all different. Thanks for the info. Oh, when I move them I took as much of the root as I could. Didn't cut much out. Is it normal for them to put out flowers and new leaves after they are moved? I read they would not and just try and recover from in the root area, so it struck me as odd

I know watering wont stop shock, but I heard it helps the plant recover faster and re establish.

o
after I moved them, other photo disappeared

Wed, May 4, 11 at 11:34

After the move

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Fri, May 6, 11 at 0:14

I was wondering if maybe anyone know what kind of boxwood these are from the photos? I moved into my house in DEC, and have not pruned them, the ball shape is from the old owner, but they are not slow growing, and starting to take a natural shape in only a few months.

o

The leaves on plants grow differently in shade and in sun. If you have to move from shade to sun it is best to prepare them gradually over a week or two. They look like they will survive though, just keep watering when they need it, (not too frequently) 2-3Xs per week was fine for newly moved plants so you did right, but now cut back to once a week and water deeply. And DO NOT FERTILIZE for one year.
All evergreens shed leaves or needles they just don't do it all at once. Older used up leaves are shed and this is what these are probably doing. After they have recovered for a year you can reshape them to get light down to the bottoms if you want them to be less leggy. Boxwood grow back well from a harsh pruning if done at the right time of year. Boxwood also have shallow roots so limit the amount of soil disturbance around this species whenever possible.

o

I have different varieties of boxwood all over my property, and all in different lighting situations.

I moved some closest to my driveway, they also yellowed somewhat, but are otherwise "healthy". I think it's possibly the reflection of the summer heat off of my driveway. Other boxwoods, in the same sunlight in my rear yard but in the same vicinity, just not abutting my driveway, are not yellowing.

Wonder if the reflected sunlight off that walkway has something to do with it...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here