Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jawjapeach_gw

Red Clay Drainage Problems

JawjaPeach
12 years ago

North Ga. area

I planted 3 Pencil Hollies the other day and when I watered the holes for wetting down the organic shrub food I noticed the drainage was VERY sa....low......The water absorbed into the clay like a slow draining kitchen sink that you thought was plugged well. Basically the water sits. I took a chance anyway and added topsoil mixed with composted manure to the hole hoping the amendments will help in losing the clay over time. I also pierced the walls and bottom of the holes with my fork digging tool.

When I water, I do get a fill up of water that sits on top of the mulch and once filled I stop watering and walk away. I do this about every 4 -5 days. Well, as it has turned out. They are planted too far apart so I will be pulling them out and replanting close by in the same clay.

Does anyonehave any suggestions about this drainage problem. Or will it amend itself with the good soil in there? I think I will be adding some sand mixed in with my next batch of amendments, but ANY help would be greatly appreciated...

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

soooo ....

you dug a cauldron .... which has basically no drainage ....

added a water retaining top soil ...

then added fertilizer...

then added manure ... another fertilizer ...

check out the link

then use the SEARCH FUNCTION near the top of the page ...

then start over ... hopefully they wont be near death by the time you get them properly planted ...

KEY WORDS ... plant high ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• JawjaPeach
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I mixed the topsoil and manure together and then added a 1/2 cup of "Shrubs Alive" which is an organic fertilizer. Put some in the bottom of the hole, set the plant and filled in around with the remaining mixture of topsoil. I did not fertilize twice in the planting.

Thanks for the link.

• JawjaPeach
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Too inundating for me on that link. Too much info. I did go there and read. It seems that most do have the opportunity to wait until the soil that deep is conditioned enough to plant. However; I do not have that kind of time. In which by the way, there were folks who did the same as me and they are having fine results.

So your reply to me as if I was this bad child who has committed some kind of risky behavior was not necessary. People ARE more important than a shrub. I asked for help. Not a chiding...

My planting these might not be the best way and I know this. But in my circumstances I haven't a choice but to plant immediately. So if anyone out there has anything to add that would be beneficial for this project I would be most grateful. For I will be replanting in a few days.

And Ken, my apologies for misconstruing you in the double fertilizing. I see where I read you incorrectly. Yes, only once with the fertilizer.

But please be nice. For a man of God, I dare say...............

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

Hi there - I am in North Georgia also. The ability of clay to retain moisture can be a blessing so I am thankful for it to some extent.

I don't dig the hole any deeper than it needs to sit the rootball in and have the top of it remain at ground level. This way you don't have to worry about the plant ever sinking and putting it below level.

But you can dig the hole wider than the rootball and incorporate a few amendments. I like to use organic amendments like compost and finely shredded pine bark/soil conditioner (Nature's Helper is one). But mix these thoroughly with the native soil before putting back into the hole. You don't want to replace the native soil, just enhance it.

Then use mulch over the area to help retain the moisture; this will also attract worms and beetles that will enrich the soil through their activities. In Georgia, it is important to use mulch both to keep the moisture in and keep the roots cooler as well as to improve the soil over time. If you were to dig in a forest in North Georgia, you would see nice soil - the result of many years of fallen leaves and soil critters. It was once clay too!

• JawjaPeach
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dear Esh: What a lovely help. That was what I needed to do! Put back a little of the clay. It has been 10 years since I have planted shrubs and boy are they gorgeous now! I knew I was missing something and sure enough, it was enhancing the holes by replacing a part of the native soil. I am actually helping a friend. It is her home and her HOA is giving her fits, so we do have Emergency work upon us.

The first set of holes I dug about 1" deeper only to have some good soil under the plant as well. But I will take your advice and keep it level. The 1st go round was actually perfect as far as placing the pencils in their holes and achieving root ball levels. And the holes had a good 2 1/2 inches all the way round.

I own 13 acres in the N. Ga. mountains so I just might squeeze in a quick trip up there for some gold..........

Thanks again for such wonderful help.

p.s. I'm a HUGE Nature's Helper fan. I actually mulch these guys with it. I'm most encouraged...

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

We have red clay, too, and it has posed ZERO problems for any kind of plantings we have installed...from sod to trees. Ours drains slowly, but it drains well. We plant with no amendments whatsoever, by the way. That practice, in all but a very few circumstances, is not considered beneficial in any way and can even cause problems in the short and long run. I've learned to truly appreciate this hard, red stuff enormously. Well, maybe not so much at planting time, lol. Yikes.

IF the water sits in the hole for several hours, then the drainage needs to be addressed, not the clay soil. Does that make sense?

• JawjaPeach
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The water drains slowly, so I think I might have a good thing here. Thanks Rhizo. Have my new holes dug and am ready to go!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

JawjaPeach,

What Ken was telling you (in his own way) was exactly on target and you would only benefit by considering its truth. A small amount of amendment is not likely to hurt (don't tell anyone, but I often add about 5% to 10% amendment), but, as one reliable site reports, ...

"No scientific studies to date show any measurable benefit of soil amendment except in containerized plant production. Plants grown in native soil consistently showed better root establishment and more vigorous growth."

So, if you use amendments at all, use the amendments very very sparingly so that you don't inhibit drainage. Adding large particles to a clay soil can definitely be counterproductive and decrease drainage.

Also, be careful about using the "organic shrub food" or too much composted manure. While they may sound like a wonderful thing, they could be harmful to your plants if they are not needed. Trees and shrubs don't often require adding fertilizer, and are often actually impaired by its use. I would only add fertilizer if a soil test (or other reliable indicator) indicated the need for it.

• JawjaPeach
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much Brandon. It does make sense seeing these shrubs take off like like wild fire when the landscapers put them in new homes. They just dig a hole and plop them in.

I will just give them a little appetizer and give a sweet mulch on top....Will be planting Sat. the 28th. So glad I waited.

• JawjaPeach
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay guys. I really need help here. The new holes were left open during a rain storm last night. They are still 3/4 full of water. Doesn't seem to be draining at all. Now what do I do? These hollies HAVE to go in this location.

I am so sick to see no drainage at all. Very heart breaking. Any help would be soo gratefully appreciated.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

In poorly draining soil I will often plant high. I dig a hole to accomodate 2/3 of the root ball, place the plant in and then hill soil around it to the top of the root ball and sloping gently outward, and then mulch the entire area well. The plant won't have all its roots sitting in water, but all the roots will be covered and the mulch on top will help retain moisture on the higher side of the root ball.