Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
granite_grrl

Tell me about Pieris - Japanese Mountain Fire

granite_grrl
9 years ago

Trying to find something to replace the two Euonomus that I dug up last year because of a scale infestations. These two shrubs sat either side of the steps leading up to my front door. Ideally I'm looking for something that is evergreen and with a dash of colour.

Was looking at everygrees shrubs, but would like something leafy (already have junipers, box wood and yew out front).

Found the Pieris listed on a local nursery's site. I've seen these and they're lovely, just wondering if they're what I'm looking for. The location is west face and gets full afternoon sun. I have clay soil, that I will ammend (usually don't use peat, but in this case I would...I read they like acidic soils?). It's not a wet spot, but not overly dry either.

The website lists them getting to 3ft x 3ft...about the max size I want for that location. Is this acurate? Also, are they easy to care for/trim back if required.

Thanks!

Comments (18)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

I'm thinking full Western sun just might be too much for Pieris. See if there are other Pieris growing in western exposure in your region.

You might consider one of the Blue hollies, and possibly Mountain Laurel (if you have good drainage). Both grow rather slowly.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

3'x3' is grossly understating the size. This cultivar can easily reach 8' tall and 6' wide or larger. And I agree that full western sun is not the most desirable location for these shrubs.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    9 years ago

Where in Niagara? If you don't have nice healthy lush rhododendrons growing everywhere around you, don't plant Pieris (or Mountain Laurel). They all require the same soil conditions and look like hell if you don't get it right.

Amending your clay soil with peat moss will not be enough.

• granite_grrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I kinda assumed that the size was being underestimated.

Looking through other local garden centers I see one that carries a Peiris "Little Heath", which is a dwarf variety....but from what everyone is saying the west facing location will still be too sunny (despite the garden centers labeling it as taking full sun). :( The search for a euonomys replacement goes on!

To answer smivies - I'm in St. Catharines Ontario.

• cadillactaste
    9 years ago

Just a heads up if you have pets...this plant is highly toxic. Many of pets have died from snacking on a leaf. (I had considered a bonsai form which would be potted. But...a vet warned me that this particular variety should never be planted in a pet friendly home...potted or in ground. Not worth the risk)

They are quite beautiful...my niece had one she sadly killed.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

The likelihood of a pieris planted outdoors being snacked on by a pet is grossly overstated. In fact, if you do any research, the number of pet poisonings from grazing on outdoor plants is minimal ( bit higher with livestock, tho). Few self-respecting dogs and cats are interested in eating outdoor plants :-) They want pet or people food, not random vegetation!! Puppies that will chew on anything are at risk but training will eliminate that intent as they age.

fwiw, a very large number of common garden plants are toxic to pets (and us) to some degree. But as stated, accidental poisonings of cats and dogs are extremely rare. I've gardened with numerous pets all my life with some exceedingly toxic plants grown (oleander, daphne, aconitum, pieris) and none of my pets has ever shown any interest in them.

Indoor plants are a different story. Confined animals will often chew on things to relieve boredom so this a reasonable situation to avoid toxic plants.

9 years ago

Your summer heat may not be enough to bother it in full sun. That is why I suggest you look to see how other pieris are doing in your region.

Here in the DC area, Pieris would not do too well in a Western exposure.

Pieris in the 'East' does not grow as quickly as it does in the Pac. NW, so I wouldn't worry too much about it outgrowing your space any time soon.

Little Heath is a nice one.

mikebotann: Your photo looks to be of a Pieris formosa va. forrestii? Not sure that is even hardy out here.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 8:32

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I live in rhody country (Nova Scotia) and my pieris are just melting away while my rhodys and azaleas are popping :( I'm not sure what I'm not giving them but am considering replacing with Kalmia. I will say my Little Heath looks better than the other two and is a charming little guy.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

Do not plant this shrub in the Fall. I am in Connecticut. I planted one in the Fall and it did not make it through the winter. The garden center gave me a refund. They told me that they are no longer carrying them for Fall planting because none of them make it.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I'm sure my Pieris is a Mountain Fire. At one time I had over 200 of them I propagated from cuttings and installed most in landscapes I was doing. I never ran into problems planting them in the Fall....or winter, for that matter. Our cold in the winter isn't too different from Connecticut's.The Pieris j., 'Mountain Fire' may look like a P. formosa forrestii because of the way it has been pruned and I took the picture just after the best red new growth color.
    Here's another picture of it with a taller variegated one to the left.
    Mike

This post was edited by mikebotann on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 18:16

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Lucy that actually makes sense to me because one that melted away, i planted in fall and it bloomed all winter! At the time I thought it was charming.

• granite_grrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am also realizing that the front of the house is way more shady than I was thinking. When we first moved in we cut down a Spruce in the front yard and used to get full western exposure, but especially in the last few years, the maple has taken advantage of the lack of competition there and has really expanded.

I have an opportunity to get to a couple of garden centers this weekend to look at the Pieris. My other choice is a dwarf golden barberry. Better summer foliage, but no winter foliage.

9 years ago

mikebotann: I really love seeing your pics. Would love to see more! Especially broadleafed evergreens, which thrive in the Pac NW. I can see you value foliage and not just blooms.

I would say though you are a fair bit milder than Connecticut!

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Dave, I live in the hills away from the salt water. Temps in the teens are experienced almost all winters and every few years temps are single digit.
    Yeah, foliage is more important for me than most people. After all, most flowers are short timers.
    I have several varieties of Pieris, one with crinkled leaves. It looks like it's getting a trickle charge.
    Pieris japonica, 'Crispa'.
    Mike

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Here's one I think is called called 'Flaming Silver'. It came with no tag.
    Mike

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I think my favorite is Valley Valentine.
    Mike
    {{gwi:254475}}

• ssmdgardener
    9 years ago

Mike, that's a gorgeous mature pieris.

I must say though, your winters are absolutely nothing like Connecticut winters.

Zone 6 winters on the East Coast are a **completely** different beast from Zone 8 winters with regular rainfall on the West Coast. The differences are not only in temperature, which is significant at 20*F, but also in humidity, moisture, winter sunburn potential, wind, snow fall, depth of ground freeze, etc.

I agree that spring planting is safer than fall planting in a cold winter region.