Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pieris: Dorothy Wyckoff vs. Brouwer's Beauty, similar types?

Posted by MattVA81 Zone 7 (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 10:47

Hello:

I'm struggling to discover the differences between similar forms of Pieris I'm looking at: Dorothy Wyckoff (an excellent, compact form) and Brouwer's Beauty (also an excellent and award-winning Pieris).

Anyone know the practical differences between these Pieris, or similar forms?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pieris: Dorothy Wyckoff vs. Brouwer's Beauty, similar types?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 5, 13 at 0:46

As I remember it the second one is a hybrid. There are many cultivars of P. japonica. The new P. japonica 'Katsura' combines pink flowers with stunning mahogany(?) red new growth - a novel combination. The new leaves are so strongly colored they look fake.

o
RE: Pieris: Dorothy Wyckoff vs. Brouwer's Beauty, similar types?

'Dorothy Wykoff' is a selection of p. japonica. 'Brouwer's Beauty' is p. japonica x p. floribunda. As a practical matter, 'BB' will become larger in time than DW. In my experience, the flowers of DW are larger, more abundant and in longer racemes than BB which displays its flowers in a more upright way - a trait inherited from p. floribunda.

There are many more pieris cultivars to choose from. For 50 weeks or so out of a year there is no bloom, so picking one with interesting leaves - variegated, glossy, etc. - is a worthwhile priority.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here