Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
camellia? with a early summer bloom?

Posted by maximusdecimus MS (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 10:54

I have what I'm pretty sure is a Camellia (of some sort) yet i noticed yesterday some very fragrant white blooms. Upon inspection i saw another bloom this morning and about 4 or 5 buds soon to bloom. I was under the impression though that these were fall bloomers. I snapped a few pics so if anyone doesn't mind taking a look and trying to verify what plant this is.

Here is a link that might be useful: pics

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: camellia? with a early summer bloom?

You have Gardenia jasminoides

o

thanks for the reply. I read it the other day shortly after you posted, but became side-tracted and forgot i even posted. just wanted to reply with thanks.

o

but yea it's a pretty old plant, and i'm trying to revitalize and take back the property. it actually hadn't been messed with in so long that its' leaves had, sort of, self mounded the base, so when i went to prune it back a bit, i found a bunch of already rooted shootlings of varying years old (though none had more than two leaves). As a test, I fixed up most of them in their own starter pots about a month and a half back (hoping they'd develop a stronger root mass). none have died so far, and most are actively growing with signs of new budding already.

My thing is though, one is rather tall, on the order of 14" and i am afraid to prune its only leaves to be honest. i was figuring i'd leave them as is for this season and next year prune back the tall stem to a few inches. would you suggest that be prudent?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here