Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
specialmn1

deutzia chardonnay pearls...right for me?

Mary4b
10 years ago

I saw a nice Proven Winners Deutzia Chardonnay Pearls at the garden center.

For the spot I have in mind, I need something that leafs out quite early to cover the corner of my house and downspout. I normally have a hosta there (which does great), but it's not tall enough and comes up later than I'd like for this spot. (I'd like a shrub or perennial that would be fully leafed out by now, and can look nice all season with minimal maintenance. The hosta fit the bill on all accounts, except for the leafed out part, which is why I'm not just opting for a taller hosta.)

It would get mid-day sun for a couple of hours, but otherwise would be in bright shade. Also, the mid-day sun will be dappled, as it would be partly under a large arborvitae that has been "trimmed up" to look like a small tree.

The reason this one is attractive to me is the bright color, and the small size. I want something that's 3-4 feet, no taller and no shorter. The one at the garden center is already about 2.5 feet in the pot.

A final consideration would be salt...this garden is along my driveway and COULD get some salt resulting from driveway snow being piled up onto that garden.

Comments (4)