Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vetra_gw

What large shrub/small tree to plant close to the house

vetra
9 years ago

Hi, first time on this board. I'm looking for some advice to replace what I think was a cedar tree that didn't quite make it through our brutal winter here in Chicago. In the pictures I attached I'm looking to replace the evergreen on the left that just about flattened out from the weight of a late season heavy and just didn't snap back. In a way, I'm kind of glad , the tree was getting kind of scraggly.

Any as you can see the yard is heavily wooded--I would like to add a dash of red fall foliage as most trees turn a brilliant yellow--pretty but kind of monotonous. Ideally I would like something with a three season interest--flowers in the spring, nice summer foliage and good fall color.It will be on the south side of the house--partial shade due to the woods

I was thinking of serviceberry in a clump form---it seems to have all the characteristics I am looking for. My question is how quickly does it reach full mature size--supposedly 20-30 feet. Can it be kept smaller through pruning without ruining the plant. I am looking for some type of large shrub that will fill the space near the window, but be able to be planted close to the house.

Any other suggestions--flowering dogwoods? magnolia? witchazel? crabapples? ornamental pears? Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks

Comments (4)

• vetra
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sorry- can't seem to uplaod multiple pics--so posting them as replies

• towsonite
    9 years ago

First thought would have been a dogwood, but, man, that's really close to the house. I would personally stick with some shrubs on that side and, if you really want a tree, put a dogwood in front of the tree in the middle or on the right. A redbud would be another option. Viburnum is a native plant with varieties of many different sizes (a few feet to 20). Viburnum also have fall color and some of the 100+ varieties do well in shade. I would stay away from crabapple, since they can be pretty smelly.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Dogwoods and Redbud are understory trees; they require protection from the hot sun. I've never encountered a smelly Crabapple but they do best with full sun.

Viburnums are a good choice. Check out Juddi or Carlesii. They do well in shade or part shade and smell heavenly when they bloom. Great close to the house!

Linda

• eibren
    9 years ago

Redbuds cast a great deal of shade and often make it impossible to garden under them for that reason. They don't get too tall, but their branches will eventually strike the house at the distance you are contemplating.

Serviceberry has the nice drooping florets and later the delicious berries that many birds love, so you could observe them feasting on them close up if a window looks out on that spot. It does well in partial shade and seems fairly adaptable; I see no reason why you couldn't keep it in shrub form if you are able to find one trained that way. However, I had some revert to small-tree form when I failed to keep them clipped, so you may be able to find a more trouble-free shrub for next to your house, and save your serviceberry planting for along your driveway or other opening from the woodsy areas.

Pieris Japonica comes in many forms these days and is an interesting shrub that grows fairly slowly, so requires little attention. Some of the larger Rhododendrons would also do well in that spot, and the color choices and flower forms are wonderful. Of course Forsythia would also grow there, and there are several size choices.

Witch Hazel is often difficult to get established, especially if it is a graft. It has a wonderful fragrance when the tiny flowers appear, but it grows very slowly and takes a long time to fill out, in my experience.

If you don't mind thorns you could try Bitter Orange, but eventually it will probably crave more sun. The flowers have a nice fragrance and it has beautiful dark shiny leaves...but it also grows quite slowly.

The hazelnut tree or shrub is not often thought of but is worth checking into.

There is probably not enough sun for a lilac but the hibiscus can tolerate more shade and has flower choices that range from white to a soft pink to a lovely lavender color.

All that said, Viburnums are available in many kinds, and the viburnum in any form makes a good wood that stands up to abuse quite well; they are one of the sturdiest shrubs out there, imo, unlike the hydrangeas, which make a very soft stem.

However, oak leaf hydrangeas are capable of eventually getting fairly large, and have the interestingly shaped leaves and flower clusters. I believe their color change in fall is also attractive, and they do quite well in partial shade.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pieris Japonica references