Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bought some August Beauty Gardenia's Now what?

Posted by alodal29 8 (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 11:34

I really really want Gardenia's in my backyard and I have been a planting fool this spring, adding roses, hydrangea's , star jasmine and many others and so badly want Gardenia's. I bought a few from Home Depot figuring if they don't do well I didn't invest too much but I would really love for them to thrive, any tips on how to prepare the soil and to pick the right spot to plant is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bought some August Beauty Gardenia's Now what?

alodal,
Gardenias like morning sun, afternoon shade.
THey like composted cow manure in the soil, and depending on what your soil is like, add alot of it, and mix it up well with your exsisting soil.
They need mulch, VERY important, if you don't use it, don't plant them, that is how important mulch is.
At least 2-3 inches of mulch, not to the stems of the bush, underneath of them.
When a gardenia needs water, it will ask. Use your fingers to check for moisture, and also look at the leaves. Are the leaves all folded, like its saying "I need water".
Never fertilzie a plant right after you plant it, or when it is blooming. It doesn't like to eat when it is stressed out.
Gardenias develope next years flower buds in this summer, so always trim or prune a gardenia right after it blooms, that way you won't miss next years flowers.
That's it.
And enjoy, yellow leaves are fine. DOn't stress over them.
THey really are more hardy than you think.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here