Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulching around shrubs

Posted by katrina_ellen 5b (My Page) on
Thu, May 15, 14 at 11:42

I am planting a row of shrubs alongside my fence and because I am growing some Ninebarks I was going to bring the bed out past the area where the shrub ends due to the arching growth pattern and not being able to mow underneath them. After the ninebarks I am planting a few others that have an upright growth pattern and my question is - do you create a mulch ring around your shrubs or do you just grow the grass right up to the shrub? Probably a dumb question but I had considered creating a bed the same width along the entire side of the fence but its a lot of work and I don't think I need to with the upright ones. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulching around shrubs

never allow grass up to ANY plant...

because you can never trust the idiot with the weedwhip ...

and in my yard.. i am that idiot..and i dont trust myself

grass is irrelevant ... to an established shrub... there might be a watering issue until such time ...

ken

o

Ha! Thanks Ken, I would be that idiot too.

o

thank god.. someone else with a sense of humor...

good luck

ken

o

Lawns right up to the base of the plant also delay establishment. Turf grasses are very greedy competitors for nutrients and moisture. It is ALWAYS a good idea to keep a cleared area around any tree or shrub and then keep it mulched.

o

An edging along with the mulch will help keep the grass at bay. You can cut in a V shaped channel along where you want the edge to be and renew it once or twice a season, or you can bury a metal or plastic edging. I use a plastic edging with old bricks on the inside edge to allow a place for the mower wheels to ride since DH does the mowing and hates cut in edges. I usually plant some perennials and bulbs near the outside of the bed to add interest while the shrubs are still small.
From 2013

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here