Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fpmom_gw

Inkberry...HELP! yellow leaves

fpmom
10 years ago

I'm hoping somebody out there has some experience with inkberries and can offer me some advice!
We just moved to a house (a year ago) that has several inkberries
At the beginning of fall last year (and prob end of summer now that I think about it) they developed yellow leaves in the centre of the bush... somebody from the local nursery told me that this could be due to lack of water since they like to be kept moist (and also due to the beginning of fall since they tend to lose a few leaves then as well)... I thought that this was a reasonable reason since I hadn't given the garden much attention at that point since we just moved - I have since read that they really like water and don't like to be kept wanting during hot summers
Well fast forward to this spring and my inkberries all have yellow leaves in the centre of the bush and keep getting more... I don't think it's a disease since they also have lush new growth
I trimmed them beg of spring - esp on top to keep them bushy and because they also seem a little leggy
I then over seeded my lawn and put down starter fertilizer (which I did very quickly) and I think I may have got some on the garden bed since the inkberries are all at the edge of the garden bed and lawn - then I noticed a lot of new yellow leaves the following week
After doing some reading I wondered if the yellow leaves were chlorosis and if the lawn starter fertilizer had affected the soil to make the situation worse... i tested the soil with a hand held ph tester (that you get from home depot) and it was between 6 and 7
So thinking that the yellow leaves was from chlorosis I put some soil acidifier down (not much ie a couple of handfuls around each bush which are a reasonable size ie about 3/4 ft wide) and a small amount of hollytone (again not much - and I wonder if I should have put more hollytone down)
I picked off all the yellow leaves (yes a tedious job) so I can see if more yellow leaves come on the bush) and some did on a couple of the bushes within a few days after I did this
So my questions are:
* To those experienced with inkberries your thoughts re the yellow leaves?
* To those who know anything about chlorosis (if this is the problem) how long does it take for the soil to correct and for the bush to then be affected or the chlorosis to be cured?
This has been driving me crazy since I have been putting a lot of work and new plants in to our new garden and the yellow leaves look awful
PS The new leaves are still thriving and look great and I have been keeping the water up since they are supposed to like to be kept moist (which is not what I did last year!!)
Any thoughts/ideas appreciated!!!

Comments (6)

• fpmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow Ken thanks for the help....ummmm
    my summation is that I did nothing and I now have a problem of yellow leaves at the centre of the plant getting worse (after doing nothing for a year)
    I then tried to do something after some internet research and was hoping that somebody here may have had a similar experience that could tell me what they did that helped
    It seems that you have healthy plants and have left them to stay healthy and obviously your soil is working out for them...I don't have this situation and am hoping to solve this
    I'm thinking that doing nothing will result in nothing when you actually have a problem
    But hey thanks for your advice of doing nothing???

• ericwi
    10 years ago

I have never grown inkberry, but I do grow blueberries here in Madison, WI, and I have to do periodic pH testing to keep them green & healthy. Inkberry is related to holly, and holly is said to prefer soil with pH in the range 5 to 6. The method that I am currently using to measure soil pH is with dye indicators. Using bromocresol purple indicator, it is possible to see pH in the range of 5 to 6.8. A test solution will be yellow when the pH is between 5 and 5.5, and it will be purple when the pH is between 6.4 and 6.8. You would take a one tablespoon sample of dirt, and mix with enough distilled water to make a slurry. Run this solution through a paper filter, using a funnel, and collect about one teaspoon of filtrate. Add just enough dye indicator to see the solution turn color, and note the color. If chlorosis is causing the yellow leaves, and you have put down sulfur to lower soil pH, you should see positive results in 4 to 6 weeks.

• fpmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ericwi - that's what I was wondering ie the timeframe to correct the issue
    If I am still getting yellow leaves in about a month I will know that I haven't corrected the soil adequately
    I read yesterday that iron chlorosis occurs to young new leaves but that magnesium deficiency shows up yellow in the older leaves (as in my situation)
    I'm hoping the hollytone will help correct some of this but has anybody heard of what I can use to spray the existing leaves because apparently this can prevent them going yellow ie spray with a magnesium mixture (ie treating the soil will help prevent future leaves going yellow but that spraying existing leaves will keep them green)

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

I know nothing about Inkberries but they are evergreen Ilex sp. ie they ARE hollies, not just related. The Holly I know, Ilex aquifolium, also produces a lot of yellow leaves and sheds them in early spring. Although they are evergreens they still lose leaves on an annual cycle and the older ones will be the ones to go. So, quite possibly there is nothing at all wrong with your Inkberries. Chlorosis tends to show as yellowing between the veins. Normal yellowing before the leaves are cast is less specific and tends to be all over.

• fpmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks florauk
    The leaves appear yellow at first and then get brownish/black dots over the leaf but they are the older leaves so perhaps they are just shedding? though this makes the bush look 'thin' which is why I trimmed them to help thicken up the growth... I think the inkberries have a tendency to get leggy and thin looking if you let them grow without trimming every year
    The plants seem overall healthy though since there is lush new growth all over the ends