Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone Allergic to Hibiscus or Lantana?

Posted by goldenecho z8 (Waco TX) (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 12:10

I was driving for about 20 mintues with a large hibiscus bush and a small lantana bush in the car with me. My eyes just started going crazy...watering and itching.

I'm trying to figure out which one was the culprit. I've seen hibiscus both on the bad list and the good list for allergies (on the good list because the pollen is supposed to be heavy, spread by bugs not wind, and on the bad list because...well, it didn't say).

It was an enclosed area and the air conditioning was blowing right on the hibiscus...the lantana was in the back seat. So I'm thinking it was the hibiscus. I'm wondering though since the pollen is heavy if it would be a problem with it outside.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone Allergic to Hibiscus or Lantana?

Lantana can cause a skin reaction in some people. Perhaps you touched the lantana and then rubbed your eyes?

o
RE: Anyone Allergic to Hibiscus or Lantana?

Were both making flowers at the time? There must be flowers for there to be pollen. Going with Rhizo's suggestion, what else might you have touched at the garden center? I get mysterious rashes too and am constantly washing my hands after touching plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here