Wed, May 21, 14 at 12:28

oh yeah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cotinus golden spirit

This is one of my favorite shrubs!

o

i've had one for a number of years, but was so underwhelmed by its mature shape and weak smoke that last spring I cut it back to two 10 inch trunks. It sent out new growth and was so beautiful that I continue to coppice it. It gets about 6 ft tall and is a huge flush of gold--much lovelier than before.

o

Laceyvail, I have 2 Continues shrubs that are very old. One is a purple maroon and the other a orange bronze. I don't know the cultivars but the brutal winter we had top killed most of the purple shrub, though new growth is coming out of the 3 main lower limbs. I came to this site to find out if I can coppice the shrub Your response answered that but what I would like to know is do you still get the feathery panicles. I would appreciate any info you can provide. Thanks.

o

No, when you coppice it you don't get any "smoke." But the flush of leaves is really spectacular.

BTW, lovetogarden, I'm surprised that your purple leaf smoke bush lasted so long in zone 4. Even here, in zone 6, when we had more normal winters with temps going around zero, there was a lot of die back in the purple leaf ones, which discouraged people from growing them as full shrubs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here