Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dhspitler

arborvitaes dying

dhspitler
11 years ago

Hello, I hope that I'm posting this in the right place. I'm not a gardener, this is actually my first attempt at growing/planting anything.

I live in New York City and my apartment has a small courtyard with built in planters along the walls. The courtyard is surrounded by tall buildings, so it only receives direct sunlight at most 2 hours in the summer. I planted some arborvitaes in August of 2011 and they were doing fine up until about a month ago when some of the branches and leaves began to turn brown and fall off. Attached are some pics. I would appreciate any suggestions/help that there might be out there. Are they beyond help? The middle tree is in the worst shape.

If they are beyond saving, do you have any other suggestions of something to grow? I'd like something large enough to block the windows, but also I'm on a budget.

Thanks!!!

Comments (7)

• dhspitler
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wanted to post pictures, but I can't figure out how to do it. :(

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

check out the link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: how to post pix

• dhspitler
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are pics

Here is a link that might be useful:

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

use the HTML code.. paste it right here where you type.. and on preview it will pop right up for us ...

is that an air conditioner inside the right most one??? .. that isnt good

i never plant conifers. in august.. i bet you got highly stressed cheap stock.. which was already damaged ...

and they will need more sun.. to thrive ...

track back into the plant ... and cut out the dead stuff.. and see if you can live with the experiment.. and find out if they will fill in enough to make you happy ... if not.. get rid of them..

ken

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

In addition to the lack of sunlight, I'd be concerned about lack of root space in that planter. Also with lack of adequate root space would be the need for pretty darn frequent watering, even in winter if immediately adjacent to the building or under any sort of overhang.

A tough and very restrictive location for any sort of tallish, evergreen plant.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

The pic...

{{gwi:255293}}

In addition to the planter being small, how well does it drain?

tj

• User
    11 years ago

DH,
    For the summer, I would plant Ostrich Ferns in there.
    They would do nicely nest to the other ferns, they grow quickly and will cover your window for privacy.
    If you go through a dry spell, water everything real good.
    For the winter you could put some decorations in there to help cover up the windows. Mabey buy a fake small something, I like your decos by the way.
    You need a PLANT that doesn't mind wet feet.