Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardenia With Brown Spots

Posted by dthrooop 9 (My Page) on
Sun, May 16, 10 at 12:50

Hi,

My Gardenia (veitchii) has some brown spots on the leaves and I'm not sure what it is. Too much water or a PH issue? Also, the newer leaves seem a very pale yellow. Any help with these issues would be appreciated.

A link to the photo is below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenia With Brown Spots

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardenia With Brown Spots

The new growth is showing iron deficiency which can often be caused by high soil ph.

Very common on gardenias, look for an "acid" fertilizer that contains iron such as MirAcid by Miracle Gro though there are others.

o

Since we don't know where the OP lives, it is impossible to diagnose accurately. Nonetheless, it looks to me as well like chlorosis. Iron chelate for fast green-up, acidify the soil prior to planting any more.

Dan

o

Thank you for the quick follow ups. I'll get some acid fertilizer/iron chelate to address the yellowing. Are the brown spots a result of the chlorosis as well?

thanks,
dthroop

o

the brown spots are an external injury to the leaf... it has nothing to do with the other suggestion ....

how it.. or what happened.. is speculative ...

in my zone.. that would be cold damage ...

in yours.. water drops on a particluarly hot day when the leaf was very young.. and the sun heated it??

chemical lawn spray...

so many options.. i doubt you will ever really know ...

but the rest of the plant looks fine.. if it were me.. i would leave them ... if you want to pick off a few leaves i dont see where that would hurt a large plant ...

ken

o

Thanks, Ken. We did have a pest control treatment the other week, and that's the only chemical I can think of that might have caused any damage. But, as you noted, there are many possible options. I'll pull some leaves off of one plant and keep an eye on it.
Regards...

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, May 18, 10 at 1:20

where do you live? is the gardenia in the ground or a pot?

o

That sort of necrosis could be several things, but if the spots appeared suddenly, you'll want to change consumer pest service companies.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here