Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arborvitae health

Posted by Estam 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 14 at 12:57

Hi all, Two years ago I planted 5 Arbs in a row approx 3 feet apart. All receive sun light but due to a tree the first three see am sun and the latter see pm sun. The first three are growing well and are filling in but the last two are not doing well. Behind our house any time it's windy, there seems to be a wind tunnel effect which effects the last two Arbs the most which imo is drying out one side of each arb causing that side to wither. My other concern is could there be a nutrition problem. I ended up replacing the worst arb early last year but still seem to have same problem. Any suggestions please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arborvitae health

i suggest some pix ...

what is the tree they are planted near ... if a maple.. then the maple is out competing them for available water ...

i grow many.. many arbs.. on glacial sand.. not much humus in it.. and i NEVER fert ... IMHO ... its just not your problem ...

its the tree ... or your watering protocol ...

ken

o
RE: Arborvitae health

Thanks Ken, Good info.
Your correct, the nearest tree is an old Maple and is approx 25 feet from the closest arb. What watering protocol do you suggest?
Regarding fertilizer I have used the Miracle-Gro Tree & Shrub Fertilizer Spikes, 4 to 5 sticks beginning and end of season, are you suggesting these are not required?
Dave...

Pix this afternoon...

This post was edited by Estam on Fri, May 23, 14 at 22:35

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here