Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scottish Broom help!

Posted by Jinxy1222 Central, PA (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 14 at 13:03

New to my home and new to the Scottish Broom bush in the yard. It's blooming and looks beautiful, but the branches are coming out of the ground sideways. It rained the other day and the entire bush was laying on the ground. What can I do to fix this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scottish Broom help!

lets be very clear.. i dont know this plant ... i speak in generalities ... and if anyone with direct experience comes along i will defer ...

this happened.. because ... over the years.. it was given haircuts... its grown is so lush.. AT HEIGHT .... that it flopped over.. many flowering shrubs do this.. with haircuts ...

so to avoid such.. and keep them young vibrant plants ... we use a system called 'rejuvenation pruning' ... see link ...

you could then convert your common name to latin .. and using the rejuvenation theme .. see if you can focus in on this plant in particular ... in google

i just got done.. taking down a lilac.. about 4 times as big as yours.. basically flopping the same.. the whole plant to about 6 inches... i have no fear that it wont come back.. but in doing it all at once... i might lose bloom next spring.. i dont care.. i had a hate on for it ...

binding.. wiring ... torturing it.. will not really work.. in the long run ... you will have to remove at least 1/3 of those huge branches ... and see how it reacts.. and if it starts growing low down .. perhaps take the rest out in fall ... or 1/3 more.... and in the mean time you light pound in a huge stake and tie the rest up.. but it will not be pretty ....

read up at the link.. and lets discuss it.. if you have more questions...

or.. just dig it out.. every removal is an opportunity for something new ...

ken

o

I had one of those and LOVED it for its fragrance. But what a nightmare to control. I did the 'rejuvenation pruning' but was unsuccessful. No matter how I pruned, the new spring growth was just so heavy, the plant would flop. I have a small property and no space to waste on uncooperative plants. Ended up shovel-pruning it. I will admit the fragrance draws me in and if I had a larger property, I would grow it in an out-of-the way place where it wasn't such an eyesore.

o

brooms dont really respond very well to pruning-if you like them-and there are many nicer ones-the best plan is to replace them every few years-one gallons are cheap and they grow fast fast fast-keeping them on the dry side will help control them and give a better plant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here