Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best time to move a Bridal Wreath Spirea?

Posted by mclarke (My Page) on
Fri, May 8, 09 at 13:04

Does anyone know the best time to move a Bridal Wreath Spirea?

We moved into this house two years ago. Someone planted this poor Spirea too close to a Forsythia, and the Forsythia now dominates the poor Spirea.

So, we'd like to move the Spirea to a better place. It's about three feet tall, quite bushy, and growing enthusiastically sideways.

Has anyone moved a Spirea? Any advice? Is this a good time, or should we wait?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best time to move a Bridal Wreath Spirea?

The best time is spring while still dormant. However, if it is fairly large and well established you could cut the entire plant off at about 6-8" above the ground, dig it with as large an earthball as possible and get it into its new home immediately, watering it in well. It may not have a very showy bloom next year, but will probably live and re-establish. Spireas are pretty tough plants.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 8, 09 at 14:48

USDA 6 and warmer fall, right after leaf drop could be better.

o

where are you..

in my z5 MI ... when it loses its leaves in fall.. or as soon as the ground thaws in late winter..

fall is preferred because you have two cool seasons.. before the heat of the first summer ... time to grow some roots ...

ken

o

Thanks, everyone... I'm in zone 6, just outside of Philly. Sorry for not posting that before.

Ken, I've met you in the Hosta forum...

Fall might be the best time, then.

Thanks for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here