Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendation for difficult spot

Posted by reinholdt 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 13:29

Hi,

I've had little success with yews as a foundation plant on the north side of my house, so I'm looking for suggestions for a shrub that is not real fussy about soil and other conditions.

My preferences:

1. Deciduous or non-decidious (either is fine)
2. About 4'tall and 3'wide
3. Dense habit (to block the ugly house foundation)
4. Non leggy
3. Hardy, dependable, and not fussy about soil, etc.

I was thinking of either burning bushes or boxwoods. What do you think?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendation for difficult spot

bor-rinnggg ... lol ....

you didnt tell us how much ambient light.. and how close to the house you want them.. nor how tall the house is ...

on the north side of my garage... its so bright.. i can grow just about anything...

on the north side of the overhanging top level of the overhung tri level... nothing but moss grows ...

more facts please ...

ken

o

Ken, "boring" is fine, as long as they grow and fill up that spot! haha.

To answer your questions:

1. Low-med ambient light
2. House is about 25' tall. Overhead gutter is about 12'
3. Will plant shrubs about 3.5-ft from foundation (to clear a wide overhang)

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

o

Any ideas why the yews are having problems? They really are one of the most bulletproof/reliable shrubs for shade. Boxwood is a positive diva in comparison.

o

Mad, the yews haven't seemed happy in this spot since I planted them 6 years ago. Just droopy and sad looking.

I'm ready to yank them out and plant something else. I'm thinking of burning bushes because I heard that they are not fussy about soil, etc. That is what I want: something that is hardy and not fussy about conditions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here