Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linlily

Whole Limbs dying on Dwarf Mock Orange

linlily
10 years ago

I have a Dwarf Mock Orange shrub that we put in about 5 years ago. I love it because it started blooming the next year from when we planted it and it has grown and flowered profusely from year to year.

Last fall, when I was doing fall clean up, I noticed a few limbs had died - all leaves curled up and the wood was dead. I pruned them off. In the spring, I only prune dead areas and again found whole limbs where no leaves had sprouted, and that were brown and dead. Now, there are more limbs dying. There are no ourward signs of anything on the leaves or limbs. The leaves shrivel up first, turn brown - staying on the branch -and I don't see any outward signs of anything else.

The bush is in full sun and mulched in. We water, but only if we don't get sufficient rainfall, which can occur here usually in late July and August.

The way it's acting, I would think that the plant was suffering from a borer of some kind. But I did lots of research on line and have not seen any reports of a borer that attacks Mock Orange plants. On the whole, they seem like there are few pests or diseases that attack them. Any ideas what could be happening?

Linda

Comment (1)