Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiddo_1

Oakleaf hydrangea - dying?

kiddo_1
9 years ago

I have grown an oakleaf hydrangea in a mostly-shady spot since 2009. It has grown and flourished and got bigger and better every year.

This year, however, it is sick, perhaps dying. We had a hard winter, but the spot it's in is protected. We have had good rain this spring (about an inch a week). The temps are moderate.

Yet the plant is struggling. The leaves are small and weak. Mostly they just are limp and just dangle from the branch. Usually by now the leaves are large and lush.

I noticed the bottom of the trunk does not seem to have any bark. Is that normal? I've never really paid much attention.

I give the tree about a cup of HollyTone every spring.

Is there anything I can do to save this? Thanks.

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

did you notice.. we had a bad winter???

prune out any dead stuff ... ignore the trunk ... it obviously isnt dead ..

if you dont like what it looks like by fall.. get rid of it ...

feeding it will not help ...

my OLH is much more like a shrub ... i dont understand why yours is so tall .. unless it is starved for light [i see your hosta there] ... are you sure on that ID ... i cant tell from the pic ...

it will be assuming a new shape and form from here on out.. do not delude yourself.. into thinking.. it will be like it used to be ... change is not necessarily bad ...

do i see 3 stakes under it.. can you explain those????

ken

• kiddo_1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken,

As the branches got long over the years, I added some stakes, giving height to what is usually a sort of floppy shrub. Loosely tied to stakes gives shape to the shrub and allows good air flow through the plant. The garden there is bright light in morning (indirect), then dappled in early afternoon, then shaded later. There are no dead branches on the plant at this point. Every branch in the pic has floppy leaves at the end. Yes, it was a longer winter than normal, but this plant has seen one several years ago and nothing else in the bed has suffered. It's pretty sheltered from wind, too. I've not extra-fed the plant, just the annual 1C of HollyTone, same for the hostas and astilbes in that area. All the plants there have been in since 2003.

• kiddo_1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the plant last year - April in 1st pic, June in 2nd.

• pandora
    9 years ago

Kiddo,
    Sorry I can't help.
    Maybe it is just struggling with all the rain we've had. I started to build an Ark.

It sure was beautiful before.

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    9 years ago

Your hydrangea is not getting enough sunlight, which results in the lanky long growth and is not as healthy due to the lack of light.......your plant probably has developed a root rot issue, which is common with oakleafs if the soil remains too damp.....

• kiddo_1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ians - it's getting enough light. It is NOT lanky, but has been trained up on stakes. Without leaves the branches might look lanky to you, but they aren't.

I looked up armillaria root rot, but did not find any amber mushrooms around and an examination of the roots showed no sign of 'tendrils, shoestrings' or other fungal growth. There are no soft spots on the roots and as for their color - I don't know paleness is normal or not.

Help me, hydrangea lovers. I don't want to lose this beauty. THanks.

This post was edited by kiddo_1 on Fri, May 30, 14 at 8:59

• splitrock
    9 years ago

Could the bark have been eaten away over the winter by voles or rabbits?