Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erin_farr

Need some recommendations of a foundation shrub/tree

I'm redoing my front garden and need help. I posted another message asking for shrub ID help but am thinking this thread may help me out more.

The lot line at this side of the house isn't very big at all. In fact, from the corner of the house to the edge of the line is only about 5 feet. Of course I can bring this garden forward but I am still limited to what a put in since I do not want this entire side of the house hidden behind a tree, especially since there is no second story on this side.

{{gwi:28727}}

I did go out driving looking for inspiration and found this house which has a similar layout as mine and really like what they have put in there.

{{gwi:255943}}

Tree or shrub suggestions for this tough area are what I'm after keeping in mind my lack of space. I have consider the overused weeping mulberry and mountain laurel (although I'm not sure if my condition are ideal nor am I sure I want to wait for it to mature). Today came up with a Rose of Sharon pruned to tree form.

I'm linking my landscape design thread which includes more pictures and a rendition from Yardvaark using his ideas, which I really like!

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape Design Thread

Comments (3)

• wildcatnurseryman
    10 years ago

It looks like the example you like is a Serviceberry of some type. I would suggest an evergreen for a corner plant to give some visual weight to that corner. There are many to pick from. A Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae or Well's Form Chamaecyparis would do the trick. Both are fairly slow growing and stay narrow enough to give you a little wiggle room for smaller plantings as an outside border.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hi

the bed you have there now.. is not even big enough to put a ladder in there to wash windows or do anything else ....

i would suggest you triple the size of the bed.. so that 1/3 is left blank..AFTER the plants mature ...

we have not seen the whole house.. but it looks multi-story.. and your bed.. as it is.. is not in proportion to the height of the house ... and that might be why you are struggling to conceptualize ....

do grasp.. that foundation plantings.. are planted to HIDE the foundation.. NOT ON THE FOUNDATION ... it is one of the greatest errors made by the homeowner ... with that simply thought in mind.. just walk the 'hood'.. and see if you can start spotting.. who has done it right.. and who put all those cute little potted plants 2 feet from the brick.. and now have problematic monster ...

the solution to that corner .. is either back in that triangle behind.. unless there is a gate there ...

or about 10 feet towards the camera .. in the lawn ...

again.. you are focusing at the foundation of the corner...

to make the corner disappear.. from where you took the pic.. does NOT mean ... you plant ON THE CORNER ...

get out of the box you have placed yourself in ...

good luck

ken

• Erin Farr (Niagara Zone 6)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken,

I appreciate your input and your willingness to always chime in when I need it. If I gave an indication that I was leaving the garden as is, then I apologize. I gave a link that includes more photos including one of the whole house and my plans to extend. If I wasn't clear before I'll say it now, I will be bring the garden out by about 6 feet. I plan to have some kind of massing at the foundation but would like a tree at the corner so add some interest to the garden. I would also like the garden bed to extend out and around the tree and have some ground covering (either hosta or ornamental grass). That back corner does have a gate but I also have a gate on the other side as well. My plans for the corner was to have a small side garden with some stepping stones beside it and mulch - no grass, since I don't see the point in bring the mower back there for the 3 x 7 foot area. Since the shrub massing I will be doing will be boxy and dense, I'm hoping for a airy shrub or tree. Crape myrtle is my favorite so far but I have limited knowledge and am just browsing the Internet for things I think might work. I did take a drive in the hood and found the shrub I posted which I also like.