Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wilting onondaga viburnum

Posted by rebaru z5 QC (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 14:35

One of the stars of my back garden is an onondaga viburnum I've had for ten years. This year it has leaves and flower buds, but it looks like it's wilting - even though it's been watered. Nothing else around it is like this, not even a Wentworth viburnum just beside. What could be the trouble? I am afraid it might be on the way to dying!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wilting onondaga viburnum

cant help you much w/o a picture...

could it simply be leafing out so lushly .. that it looks wilted??

if so.. it ought to get its act together in a week or two ..

ken

o

Viburnum are susceptible to Verticillium wilt. Could it be that? As Ken notes, easier if we see a photo.

Sara

Here is a link that might be useful: Verticillium wilt

o

thanks! I have a couple of photos, but cannot find any info on how to upload them here - though i use flickr and facebook. maybe i should post them on flickr.

I saw some posts about verticulum wilt, but the leaves on my onondaga are fine, though smaller than usual. no brown spots or anything....

Could you tell me how to upload photos here?

Thanks!

o

Make that verticillim. And I looked at the site posted by formandfoliage - thanks. But it doesn't seem like that, and it isn't really the season. I hope not - most of my shrubs are on the susceptible list!

It has been very warm and dry lately, but I had already deeply watered, and just did again. Anyway, I'll post photos when I find out how.

o

photo of droopy viburnum sargentii onondaga, planted in 2003.

o

This trilobum wentworth is right next to the onondaga, and it is not droopy in the least!

o

(sure was easy to upload those photos! lol)

o

Agree does not look like Verticillium. Looks fine to me from the shot that you have. Can we see a photo of the entire bush? Are the stems turgid?

Sara

o

i stand by my thoughts on early lush growth ...

give them a week or two.. and report back ...

ken

o

So far so good, the onondaga is not so droopy. The flowers are held upright as they should be. Thanks for the encouragement!

o

Good news!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here