Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny12first

Viburnum 'Shasta' deer resistant?

ginny12
10 years ago

Does anyone have first-hand experience with Viburnum 'Shasta' and a heavy deer population?

I have to plant a tall border hedge in full sun and the deer eat everything here--but so far they have not touched my Viburnum 'Shasta'. But that could be because there is so much else to dine upon....

So I'd like to hear from people with this shrub and lots of deer. Or suggestions for other tall shrubs with leaves to the ground that the deer have left alone. This is a privacy hedge.

Comments (8)

• rogerzone6
    10 years ago

We have had several on our property for almost 10 years in a deer infested area. No issues yet. However I have read mixed opinions on Ninebark. We planted some last fall, keeping my fingers crossed.

• ginny12
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sorry to say that deer in Massachusetts browse on whatever they want, including almost all shrubs, throughout the year. It's not a winter thing. This is despite the woods and forests that are widespread in our state.

Thank you both for the replies and suggestions.

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

Deer have not eaten from my double file viburnum although it is closer to the house than my other shrubs. They do nibble my snowball and Onondaga and blue muffin. They nibble the tender new growth tips; none of these shrubs have been completely eaten and most I have planted within the last 3 years from 1 or 3 gallon pots. They have eaten a bit off juneberries, aronia and clethra and they like oak leaf hydrangea--I finally caged it and is is now growing. They haven't touched forsythia, lilacs or Tardiva hydrangea (these are right next to blue muffin which they seem to prefer).

Deer around here seem to favor different plants from year to year. Last year it was my rose and monarda. This year they are eating columbine buds.

• Terry Conway
    4 years ago

Try Japanese cryptomeria.

• HU-994962710
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@ginny12, did you find out about this? i have deer too, & would like to plant some shasta doublefile viburnams as a hedge. How did yours turn out?

• ginny12
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My existing Shasta vibunums developed a sloppy habit so I removed them. I am suspicious that I was sold true Shasta viburnums tho I got them from a reputable nursery, not Home Depot etc. For the hedge I planned I instead used Forsythia Showstopper. Even if the deer eat them--which they haven't so far--they are cheap enough to replace, as big a pain as that is.

• HU-994962710
    2 years ago

Very smart. The deer seem to know just how expensive things are, & go for the high dollar shrubs first! 😉 I’ll bet that your forsythia hedge is gorgeous when in bloom.

The location of my (would-be) hedge will mostly be viewed from above through a kitchen window, so that‘s why I’m interested in doublefile Shastas. But when I’m actually in the yard, I’d like privacy from the neighbors, so I’d really rather have a dense evergreen for year round coverage. Add part shade & deer to that equation, & I’ve got few options, it seems. Maybe I’ll buy one shasta & put it somewhere else in the yard & just see what happens…

Have you ever tried winter jasmine by chance? I’m wondering if the deer like that. I have a wall that I’d like to let it weep over.