Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help ID this 'black' shrub

Posted by whiteforest 6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 14:56

About a month ago when everything was starting to turn green I thought this shrub must have been dead. It's in the very back of my yard, so I went out for a closer look thinking I was going to be digging it up and it was covered in leaves after all. The leaves appear black at a distance, and it's covered in burgundy flower buds right now. It is growing in mostly sun (it gets shade until about 11am). I'd love to know what it is, because I find it to be so strange looking.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help ID this 'black' shrub

weigalia .... WAG.. black knight or something like that ...

some 'rejuvenation pruning' ought to get it back into proper form ...

google all that.. and you will find it.. i am in a hurry right now ...

ken

o

It's pretty scraggly, but it could be either a Weigela 'Dark Horse,' a Weigela 'Fine Wine,' or a Weigela 'Wine & Roses.' Below is a link to a good website. Just type "weiglea" into the search field and you will get several photos and descriptions. If I had to guess, I would say weigela 'Dark Horse.'

Here is a link that might be useful: Type Weigela in the search field.

o

hit the link..

look at the form .. and understand why yours needs help ...

it looks like you have 3 major trunks.. after flower fades.. cut the largest down to about 3 inches from the ground... .. and watch how it reacts with new growth down low ...

in fall.. or next spring.. take the next largest ...

and then the last.. either next spring or fall ...

also.. it is a full sun plant.. and i see shade there ... and that might.. complicate long term vigor and flower production.. not that it will die or anything.. it just might not perform as well as others ..

as you can see from the link.. it has VAST potential.. and if you want to keep it in the 3 to 4 foot range.. you will have to remove large trunks every year or two ..

NEVER.. EVER.. trim this at height.. or it will.. well.. end up like it did.. lol ...

if you move it.. do so after leaf fall in fall ... and give it at least.. a 6 by 6 area .. if not larger .. which would be preferred ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I inherited this shrub when I bought my house last fall. I removed 4 other large shrubs earlier this spring that were choking out this and my rose bush. I'm sure they had something to do with the poor form of this one. It does get shade until 10/11am, then it's in full sun the rest of the day. It's the most sunny location this yard has, so it will have to do.

o

8 plus hours of sun is considered full sun.. so that spot should be fine ...

in to little sun.. it will lose its blackness.. and tend toward green ....

ken

o

Regarding what to cut back... There are actually 8 canes coming from the crown, and then 2 more growing about 6-8 inches off to one side that look like they come straight out of the ground. They are all woody, and the leaves are sparse, as you can tell from the photos. So, how should I go about cutting this back to make it come back fuller? If I take the 1/3 approach, does it matter if I start in the center or the edges? Would I still start with the larger canes?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here