Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How tall & wide is your Virburnum Carlesi 'Diana'?

Posted by summerstar Z7VA (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 14 at 14:58

This shrub seems to be a fairly new plant grown from the Carlesii variety: 'Korean Spice' which has a wonderful fragrance. The growing space I have reserved for it is only about four feet wide. I've read so many good things about it that I'm tempted to go ahead and plant it and if I have to, just widen the space as it matures. Our bedroom window would be near it and I'm hoping it would permeate the room. Can you tell me how wide your 'Diana' is? Thanks much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How tall & wide is your Virburnum Carlesi 'Diana'?

Viburnum carlesii 'Diana' has been around since its introduction in 1958. It hasn't necessarily been mass-produced to general circulation, however.

It - like many other Viburnum selections - is an exceptional plant. It won't restrain itself to a four foot wide space, but it won't fill that site overnight. It wants to reach a 6' x 8' mature size, so that will be some years off.

You will decide in the intervening time whether it performs well enough for you to make more space for it, or whether you will edit for other purposes.

o
RE: How tall & wide is your Virburnum Carlesi 'Diana'?

Viburnum Valley, your comment: "Viburnum carlesii 'Diana' has been around since its introduction in 1958. It hasn't necessarily been mass-produced to general circulation, however." This explains its lack of notoriety. I haven't found 'Diana' at local nurseries or seen much written about it.

Does this shrub develop a good bounty of fruit? It's always a great plus if a shrub produces persistent fruit for birds that winter-over. If your answer is "yes", it may help me close the deal on this plant. Thanks for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here