Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Taller Shrubs behind Shorter Ones

Posted by prairiegirlz5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 23, 10 at 15:15

I need the voice of experience please. I know that a plant's growth habit is a range of heights (like 4-6') and widths.

Here's the problem. I want to plant clethras behind hydrangeas. Will the clethra be taller, as desired?

I have one Ruby Spice and another that was labeled RS but turned out to be white! The spot I have for them is in part to full shade. It is close to the hose, which drips when I water, so they should get plenty of extra water. Would you add a third cultivar? If so, which one?

I want to plant these behind an existing hedge (three plants) of Neon Flash spirea. These will be replaced eventually with hydrangeas, hopefully in a similar size, like Annabelles, or a dwarf, like Dharuma. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Taller Shrubs behind Shorter Ones

• Posted by ademink z5a-5b Indianapolis (My Page) on
    Sun, May 23, 10 at 16:20

The hydrangeas will be taller than the clethra, in my experience.

o

Thanks ademink, that's what I needed to know!

o

Clethra can get tall in wild situations (I've seen 7 or 8 feet) usually when they are in a wet shady area. In a landscape situation they usually don't get that tall. Also if you're in zone 5 you may get tip dieback every year which could limit their height.

o

thanks jimmy~I'm going to keep the spirea there for now, they get just enough sun to flower once. I may put Ruby Spice off in the corner. It does get tip dieback, and chlorosis, and is not my favorite shrub right now. Eventually, I'll replace the spirea with hydrangeas, or something taller. Possibly layering a couple of shrubs, any suggestions for mostly shade with alkaline, clay soils?

I wonder if I prune the clethra down hard if it will get fuller at the bottom? I think if I could get it to grow low and spread out, that would work for me too. I just want every inch of ground covered.

o

I had another brainstorm. If I leave the spirea for now, would viburnum Summer Snowflake look good as a background shrub? Several sources I have consulted say this shrub will be 6-8 feet H x W, all the way up to 10 x 5 feet. They're about the same height as the spirea now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here